When do YOU shock?

alanrmeadows

LifeTime Supporter
May 5, 2010
I'm just curious and would like a range of opinions as to when you typically shock? Do you always shock after a heavy swim load or decent storm? Or do you rarely shock and just monitor your daily FC loss, and if it stays consistent you don't worry about it. Just curious?

Thanks,
Alan

Here's a quote from Pool School:
Shocking the pool will eliminate algae, combined chlorine (CC), and any other organic contamination. If you have algae, or the CC level is above 0.5, or the free chlorine (FC) level is zero, you should shock the pool. Many people also like to shock the pool when the FC level falls significantly, as it often does after a major storm or large swim party. This is done even if FC doesn't get all the way to zero, just to be sure everything is all right. If you are maintaining proper FC levels there is no need to shock weekly, or on any other regular schedule.

Most of us rarely shock our pools :-D

on another note, i noticed when i went to the pool store the other day, i know many
don't believe in the pool stores, but i live in a small town and the owners of the only
pool store here have been at it for many years. i usually deal with the owner and he
knows what i am doing as far as the bbb method and agrees. the truth is i can buy
liquid chlorine and baking soda from them cheaper even than wal mart. so to the point,
when they get summer help to do their water testing i have noticed that no matter
what the results are, the first question they ask is when did you last shock?
the last sample i took in tested perfect (her words), and yet she asked when did you last shock?
when i said 2 years, she had no clue what to say as the owner and i just laughed.

Butterfly said:
Here's a quote from Pool School:
Shocking the pool will eliminate algae, combined chlorine (CC), and any other organic contamination. If you have algae, or the CC level is above 0.5, or the free chlorine (FC) level is zero, you should shock the pool. Many people also like to shock the pool when the FC level falls significantly, as it often does after a major storm or large swim party. This is done even if FC doesn't get all the way to zero, just to be sure everything is all right. If you are maintaining proper FC levels there is no need to shock weekly, or on any other regular schedule.

Most of us rarely shock our pools :-D

Since we all know that shocking is a process and not a one time addition of product (called shock), I wouldn't consider a preemptive, one-time, purposeful rise of FC after a pool party to be "shocking". Just sayin' :mrgreen:

If I find algae in the pool I will shock. But if FC has been a bit low due to lack of attention, or a big rain, or weird stuff in the pool (vultures then weird bits of tissue in the water.... eww) then I will just run the FC up a bit higher than normal and let it come back into range.

Then if FC usage is high after that, I'd either shock or take a look at the boulders around the pool and in the waterfall since they can start to get algae above the water line. A light spray of 50% bleach and some casual scrubbing will get things back to normal, though the rocks are so rough that killing all the green on then is impossible.

Pretty much as stated above - if I have a serious issue, such as when I put my new liner in this spring and had to fill instead of just topping off as usual. We have well water. Otherwise, something serious has to happen before it is necessary - just regular maintenence and testing keep it pretty well evenly normal

diverman57 said:
on another note, i noticed when i went to the pool store the other day, i know many
don't believe in the pool stores, but i live in a small town and the owners of the only
pool store here have been at it for many years. i usually deal with the owner and he
knows what i am doing as far as the bbb method and agrees. the truth is i can buy
liquid chlorine and baking soda from them cheaper even than wal mart. so to the point,
when they get summer help to do their water testing i have noticed that no matter
what the results are, the first question they ask is when did you last shock?
the last sample i took in tested perfect (her words), and yet she asked when did you last shock?
when i said 2 years, she had no clue what to say as the owner and i just laughed.

LOL...should have asked her why?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.