Pump basket drains when power off

Jul 7, 2010
Hi all,

I am sure this may have been covered before (given all the fantastic advice I have been reading) but cant for the life of me find the post...so apologies!

I plan to fit a timer for my pool pump, but when I turn off my pump the basket drains? I have to fill up with water before starting again.....not good for a planned timer situation!!

I have "inherited" this system so at least I'm not to blame for the install!!

Any ideas??
many thanks! :shock:

Welcome to TFP.

It sounds like an air leak. The pump basket lid is a good guess. Apply pool lube and make sure the lid is tight. Check the O-ring condition on the lid and the pump basket drain plug. Check any unions on the suction lines for tightness.

Thanks! I thought this may have been it but have checked when pump is on (and under pressure?) and no sign of drips?
However...when I fill the basket (with power off) air bubbles come in from the pipe leading directly to the strainer basket....is this normal??

Many thanks again!

galleymore said:
Thanks! I thought this may have been it but have checked when pump is on (and under pressure?) and no sign of drips?
However...when I fill the basket (with power off) air bubbles come in from the pipe leading directly to the strainer basket....is this normal??

Many thanks again!

You won't have any drips with the pump on. The plumbing on that side of the pump is not under positive pressure. It is under negative pressure, or vacuum, and air will leak into the pipes. You may see a small drip or squirt of water as the pump shuts off. This will help pinpoint a leak on the suction side.

The air bubbles you see while filling the basket are probably just due to air being displaced in the lines when the water goes in.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.