Pool Builder has no idea what the flow rate on filter is...?

watermaverick

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 15, 2010
San Antonio, Texas
Hey Everyone

Just talked with the pool builder and they have no idea what the flow rate is for the filter. :| They did tell me that if my chems were correct and I was keeping the pool clean that running the filter 4-5 hrs will clean the water (depending on bather load).
Note: This pool is 10 years old.

Also, I am having trouble with the rear Weir door ocassionally sticking. It's hanging on a piece of metal/plastic on the topside that has bowed in the middle and is chipped so that the jagged edges hang the door up. This happens mostly when the pool is overfilled a bit from either rain or water being added.

Can the pool wizards tell me what repairs will need to be done?

Thank you

Bama Rambler said:
Are you saying that the piece above the weir is bowed down?

Maybe a little trimming or heating it and bowing it back up might work.

Yes, the piece above the Weir door is bowing and has chipped - it looks like a flat piece of sheet metal but it isn't metal - it's rigid like a flat piece of PVC (I hope I make sense here). I noticed it when I was trying to figure out why the filter was increasing in psi shortly after backwashing and I needed to bump it way too much - then the Polaris acted up - even though it was blowing water it wasn't moving. I thought I was losing my mind until my son mentioned the sticky Weir door. It sticks when the water is at the correct level or higher. A great deal of heat then builds up in there until the door is knocked down. Obviously the filter takes in air...and so on.

I appreciate the comments so much. This is bigger than me and I don't feel qualified to do this repair :? so I called the builder to come out Friday and tell me what they would do. I'll post back after July 9th.

BTW: My pool is beautiful - it shimmers, it's so clean, it feels great and my family loves me (well they'd love me even if it was full of slime but they do favors for me now...lol) thanks to the water wizards at TFP I am no longer a LPS addict.

Follow up to stuck Weir door

Pool builder/service guy stops by and ends up hacksawing a black horizontal polypropylene sheet (about 1/8 inch thick) out of the area above the Weir door! He tells me it was left in there from the construction of the pool (10 years ago). there is now a strong current around the pool from skimmer to skimmer that was never there before. Wow - what a difference that made - I am able to cut down on the the daily run time of the filter by a couple hours and the pool looks even cleaner. Who knew?

Again I asked this service guy to tell me what the flow rate was because I can't find any reference to it on the equipment - he says he doesn't know either.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.