Heavy Rains, Drain Immediately? Also air bubbles are gone?

Nov 12, 2009
Tulsa,OK
We've had some heavy rains today and the pool water level is above the skimmer. Should I start draining right away to get level back to normal?

Coincidently there are no more air bubbles coming from my returns. I had been trying to find a suction side air leak to no avail. With the pool water level about 5 inhes above normal right now there is no more air from returns or in the pump basket? Anyone know where the air may be coming from, Skimmer???

I kinda wonder if the source of the air bubbles was the lid on the strainer basket, and now that it probably has water standing on it, there is no more leak.

Depending on the strainer when you were at "normal" water levels it may have been occasionally creating a whirlpool and introducing air into the system. You can try lowering the level and watch it with the cover off for 5 or 10 minutes to see if it tries to form a whirlpool

Ike

I had replaced and lubed the pump basket lid O-ring a few weeks ago, which didn't help with the air. There is no water on top of the pump now and still no air bubbles. At normal level there is no noticeable whirlpool in the skimmer. I will see if the air comes back after it has drained down. Thanks.

Standard recommendation is to keep the water level half-way up the skimmer opening. You may need to keep yours a little higher to keep the air out. I have to keep mine about 3/4 up the skimmer for best performance.

The Air leak is back, and I DO think it is at the pump basket lid.
I took off the lid and thoroughly cleaned the O-ring Groove, lid, and O-ring, removing all dirt, debris, o-ring lube, and water. I re-lubed the new O-ring with Silicon O-ring lube and and put it back on along with the lid then snugged up the lid. It's still drawing in some air. If I pour a steady amount of water on top of the lid, or apply pressure with my foot directly on top of the lid the bubbles go away.

Why can't I get the lid to seal? To tighten it any more I would need one of those special tools, is that what I should get?

If pressing down on the lid stops the air then you shoudl get the tool to tighten it a bit more. It could be that the lid or basket is warped a bit and isn't sealing unless tightened well. It could be that it just takes more tension than you're able to put on it by hand.

Re: Heavy Rains, Drain Immediately? Also air bubbles are go

Reviving this post to comment that I replaced my pump basket lid and the air bubbles are completly gone. I noticed a hairline crack in the center and that must have been causing my air leak! :cheers:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.