AGP Installed - Potential Moat

Jun 22, 2010
Well got my AGP installed today and it is filling as I type. The bad news is they had to dig about a foot down near my deck which means I have a foot drop in elevation from the marble chips under my deck to the pool bottom on one side of the pool. What are my options here? I was thinking about taking out more dirt and building a little retain wall.

How far can I back fill with dirt or stone from the bottom of the pool?

Did anyone else on the forum have this issue? If so what did you do?

Thanks

Ben

Do NOT backfill against the pool with stone! Check your warranty-------a lot of companies allow burying up to 2 feet. Mine is! Mostly red clay here. Your installer should have done that for you with what came out of the hole I'd think. Yeah...........it's gonna sink!

I have the same problem. Had 12 inches removed on one side to level the ground. After two e-mails to the pool company asking how to handle this, I still don't have an answer. I haven't been able to find any warranty information. The installers hauled all the boxes etc. away, even the booklets on all the equipment.
medium.jpg

Ihave 2 ft drop on oneside look's like mine did..I just took a shovel and dug down the drop off to level it down a little then planted grass back..Been like that for 11 yrs and never had a problem..No rust when I did the liner this year......

Started to dig one half of the pool tonight to make a little over 3' walk way. On the other half of the pool it is level with the ground. Going to buy some pavers and space them so I can walk around the pool and fill in between with some type of rock. I will need to build a small wall at some point however I am taking it a step at a time. I am in Western PA also and it has been in the mid 90"s. I am going to build a little cove around the outside of the pool with dirt. I have some landscaping fabic that I am going to put against the pool before the dirt goes on. Hopefully this will do for now, I just want to get the dirt covered before it rains.

I have the same problem. We jammed a lot of pool into not a lot of yard! I too am looking for some ideas of how to prevent the rain water from accumulating around the one side of the pool. I like the paver idea but don't think it will be enough. Obviously by the picture you can see I still have a great deal of work to do.

Attachments

• Drop Off.jpg
    Drop Off.jpg
    328.9 KB · Views: 662
my installer told me that i could back fill dirt up to 18", so i have a slight difference in levels. then a friend told me that i should have the ground sloping away from the pool so not to have water puddle and wash under the pool - which of course would put me over 18". ??????????????? now i'm at a loss.

i put plastic roll out sheet in the dug out area of mine then put a corrugated pipe in with rocks covering it.
Then backfilled the area with mulch.
water drains to the backside of pool.

PICT0092.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Raining cats and dogs here, I got my moat. I have a few inches of water against the side of the pool. Should I be worried? I have to go and get that corrugated pipe. I dug out about a 3 foot wide path to level everything out however I did not get a chance to finish. This cant be good.

I ran the corrugated pipe and refilled the 3' trench that I dug out with dirt backfilling a little over a foot in the on one side of the pool. Hopefully I will be ok for the next 12-15 years however I am worried about rust since it is a steel wall however the bottom track is resin.
I placed rock on top of the dirt with some stepping stones around the pool. Rained hard tonight and it seems like the drainage pipe is working.

A friend of mine recently replaced a pool that was half buried. After 20 years, the sidewalls had begin to rust through. Ironically, the holes were all ABOVE ground. The buried part of the wall was in much better shape, a little surface rust but no holes. That convinced me that partial burial isn't such a bad thing, and some dirt against the side of your pool is nothing to worry about. The greater threat is cove washout, not rust.

As for pool warranties, anything that hasn't failed in the first couple months probably won't fail for years, and by then the warranty is generally prorated to such an extent that it isn't worth much anyway. Labor will be your biggest expense and that won't be covered by any pool warranty.

beniman74 said:
I sloped the trench by filling the dirt at an angle against the pool. Only about half of the pool is backfilled, the other half is on level ground (had about a foot slope when they started digging)
Can you possibly post a pic of what you did? It sounds like our problems are identical and I am digging my trenches tomorrow. Thanks.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.