Pool water relief in an intex pool?

Jun 25, 2009
Loogootee, IN
I read Dave's solution to cooling off the pool with a fountain,

How would I go about getting this to work on a cheap intex pool? pocket book is running low due to 4 complete refills this year only to enjoy it for two days after each fill up.

I beefed up the filter system on it to a Hayward. But I still have the 1 1/4 connectors. and the regular return nozzle.

I have tried the running pump at night etc but no luck. the pool sees full sun for about 10-11hrs a day. There is no deck etc. but the few occasions that I got in, you could feel the heat coming off the pool wall. We are getting a new/real pool next spring so I don't want to invest too much money on this one. IE build a deck etc.

Would getting Styrofoam insulation panels and putting them up against the outside pool wall help any?

Someone please save me from my Wife and two girls killing me due to hot water!

I'm about 15 miles north of you, and I've struggled with keeping my inground pool cool as well. It's been as warm as 92 before the last cool spell, and I'm sure it's on its way there again.

I haven't used my solar cover even once this summer, and I've not had my solar panels on in weeks. You won't have this problem most summers around here.

A solid cover like a silver tarp that you can get at Orscheln in Washington might work in your case to block some sunlight during the day. Remove it at night.

Hello all.
My water was out of control! Got in it in the evening and it was bath water. Pool gets full sun all day, and beings I am in South Texas the temps are over 100 daily.
This is how I got it to drop. All pipe is 1 1/4 pvc. The fitting is the one for the intex skimmer. It is the one for smaller pools that fits the 1 1/4 thread fittings for your pool strainer.
I have it all just press fit together untill I find another fitting to glue everything to. Also, this now appears hard to find so if anybody has one they will part with let me know. gotta gotta have it. :lol: .
I had to drill alot of holes due to my 2500 gph pump blew the entire contraption into the pool with only 6 holes.
I ran it from 4 pm till 7 pm, and the change in water feel was amazing. If you ran it all night I assume it might be down right chilly. PH will rise, but I can drop that pretty easy.
Hope this helps.
Oh, and total cost of goods including pvc cement and primer.....$15.25 @ home depot.

Attachments

• IMAG0510.jpg
    IMAG0510.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 4,008
  • IMAG0511.jpg
    IMAG0511.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 3,957
  • IMAG0512.jpg
    IMAG0512.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 3,958
A few more.

Attachments

• IMAG0513.jpg
    IMAG0513.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 3,951
  • IMAG0515.jpg
    IMAG0515.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 3,948
  • IMAG0514.jpg
    IMAG0514.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 3,934
I think this is the adapter http://www.intexstore.com/ProductDetail ... ductID=139 that was used. Unfortunately, it is out of stock on the Intex web site. Even though it says for pools 16' and under, my 18' metal frame has two sets of threads, one of which fits this adapter. I bet you could also make this adapter work http://www.intexstore.com/ProductDetail ... ductID=690 and it is in stock.

It's good to know that 1.5" pvc fits this adapter. That opens up a world or modifications. I am considering a change to pull water from lower in the pool into the pump. Right now the skimmer pulls water from the top and the return is only a few inches deep. Even with the return eyeball pointing down and away from the skimmer, I'm not sure there is enough mixing going on.

Yea, that first fitting is the one I used. Not sure by looking if the second one could be made to work tho.
Also, just checked Intex's web site. No longer out of stock. :party: Just placed my order.
Dont know if you have found this little gem yet. topic25132.html
I plan to do this on the off season once I cut my larger holes for the 1 1/2 fittings that came with my 2500 gph.
Good luck

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Did you have to do any trimming or adjusting to make the 1.5" pvc elbow fit the adapter? Does it fit tight without gluing?

I have the same fitting that came with my Deluxe Skimmer. Since I only have a 1500 gph pump I don't think my skimmer would work if I did the mod shown at that link. What I was thinking instead was to buy a second adapter to connect to the return side to lower the return.

:hammer:
Sorry. Was just in the pool enjoying the cooler water when I got a good close look @ the pvc. It is 1 1/4" not 1.5".
Hope no one ran out and bought the wrong stuff. I also have edited the above post, so no......you were not imagining things.

Update.
I finally cut the liner to install the larger fittings that came with the 2500 GPH pump. Did it all without dropping the water level. Might have lost 1 or 2 gallons during the procedure.
I am now getting at least 6' of air on the top of the arc. Loving the cooler water temps.

Attachments

• IMAG0544.jpg
    IMAG0544.jpg
    245.9 KB · Views: 3,759
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.