Making a vinyl liner bottom less slippery?

Nov 25, 2009
Cleona, PA
I keep up on vacuuming my pool, the waters clean, still no overnight FC loss, so I don't think I have algae. But when moving about the pool, trying to play pool games, like volleyball and such, it's easy to lose traction. Of course, you're not going to move very quickly in the water, but I was wondering if there was something I could do to give the vinyl bottom a little more grip.

I posted a similiar question recently. My water is crystal clear, I have the proper target free chlorine for my CYA level and I brush the entire liner often. Despite all of my efforts, the steps and floor are still slippery. This weekend, I had two people slip on the top step as they were entering the pool. I decided (after the pool was built) to install a railing at the stairs and I'm glad that I had it done.

Like you, I would like to know why the vinyl liner is slippery. My wife is convinced that it is not "slimy" from algae but rather it is "slippery" from chlorine. I hope that someone comes along with an answer for us.

I'm pretty sure 'Slippery when wet' applies here. It may just be the nature of the material. Cement of course is more porous, and therefore offers more friction. A friend in my pool wondered if the liner could be 'epoxied', but I'm not sure what he was referring to.

Perhaps I could get those traction strips that you put down on the bottom of a shower or tub. :)

poolneophyte said:
I posted a similiar question recently. My water is crystal clear, I have the proper target free chlorine for my CYA level and I brush the entire liner often. Despite all of my efforts, the steps and floor are still slippery. This weekend, I had two people slip on the top step as they were entering the pool.

I've had dealers install diving board griptape on the top tread of the steps for added traction. When you replace your liner ask for textured material for the step.

The grip tape may need to be re-applied each season, but it isn't that difficult to do.

I am convinced that the slipperiness is caused by algae--it doesn't have to be visible to be produce a coating of slime.

Also, I'm not sure the aqua shoes (or whatever they are called) are a good idea for the print on your liner. I've heard of them scuffing the pattern.

I've noticed that has happened to my pool bottom, but not steps. My chemicals levels are great, water is clear and sparkling. I think I've narrowed it down to when I use the 1 pound bags of shock, when I'm raising my cya levels. I don't know if that makes any sense to the experts on here, but that seems to be the case for me. Typically I use bleach for my FC levels.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.