Replacing Jandy Spa Side Switch

Rick L

May 28, 2010
Hello TFP'rs,

I have an inground pool and spa managed by a Jandy Aqualink RS/6 controller. When in the automatic mode the various functions of the spa side 4 way switch randomly activate. It is about 6 years old, the rubber over the buttons is weathered, I suspect it gets wet and then randomly triggers the functions. It is an expensive switch, about $250, so I want to be sure it is the problem so that leads me to two questions;
1.) Is there a way to disconnect it so that I can see if the random turning on of the blower, etc, is related to the switch
2.) How do I remove it? It is mounted in the stamped concrete deck next to the spa, it doesn't turn or seem to screw out. How are these things mounted? Hopefully not with gobs of liquid nails!

Many thanks for any help here!

Rick

Shut the system down. Open the panel to the RS-6/ You will find the connection to the spa side. Write down the order the colored wires are in. Unscrew and remove the wires. Power it back up.

The spa side controller should be set over a conduit with it's cord to the RS-6 panel. A couple of small flat head screwdrivers may help pry it up. I doubt the cord is set in concrete.

Scott

Thanks Scott.

I disconnected the switch at the panel, will let things run and see if I still get random blower and spa turn on events. Also used two flat balde screw drivers and the old switch pried right up.

Thanks for your help.

Rick

Rick L said:
Just following up, disconnecting the spa side switch cleared up my random events, looks like it needs to be replaced. Thanks again for the advice.

Rick

I have been following this thread as we also need to replace our Jandy spa side switch due to birds attacking it. Prior to the birds attacking it, I would come home from work to find the spa jets mysteriously going full blast. So we also had issues going on that I finally resolved to a bad switch. (But the birds sealed the issue of replacing it when they poked out the buttons.)

If you don't mind sharing, I was wondering where you are ordering your replacement. And if you have any "lessons learned" advice to share with others after you install the replacement, I would love to hear it, as we will also have to go down that path.

I think on the bird front I will take a heavy glass ashtray and turn it upside down to protect the spa switch from the rather aggressive birds.

Thanks in advance.

Sonflower,

I'm going to hold off on replacing it for now, I'd rather keep control from the house than let the kids go wild on the buttons. I did some googling and the best price I could find was just a little more than $200. I don't recall where that was but you should be able to find it online with a little searching. As for replacing it, as I said the old one came up fairly easily by prying with two flat blade screw drivers. My plan was to secure a string to the end of the cable in the power box and then pull it through to the switch mounting point by simply pulling the cable. Make sure it is well attached with tape but not too bulky so you can get it through. Then reverse that with the cable end of the new switch and pull it back to the box. If you mess up it gets harder. Maybe use a shop vac to get suction and try and pull a string through the conduit.

Good luck!

Rick L and sonflower-Are these the 4 function "M&M' style remotes (see pic)? I might be able to help you if you can verify that. PM me if you wish and I will check it out for you.[attachment=0:20n93af6]Jandy 4 function remote.jpg[/attachment:20n93af6]

Attachments

• Jandy 4 function remote.jpg
    Jandy 4 function remote.jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 269

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes, that's the switch I'm talking about. I found the lables for mine inside the control box. Previous owner or installer must have put them there. It is available with different length cords, go to the Jandy website or just search online. I remember seeing a 100' version.

I've installed hundreds of these, so I was pretty sure this was what you guys were looking for :cool: I just needed to verify cord lengths if I was going to try and help. There are several different lengths, and they come with different pricing, so that is an important part of the puzzle.

If either of you would like me to go to the supply house and check on these for you, I would be happy to do it. Just PM me your information so that I have it and can print it out.

I have same switch but to a Aqualink RS4. My Spa switch out at the hot tub is not working and the center RED light remains lit. I have done resets, and cleared memory, reprogramed..everything I can think of and cant get the light to go out and switch wont work. The spa works fine from the control in the house. Any suggestions? thanks

Jay

We are getting ready to do the same replacement here. Shopping for the switch itself now, in white, 4 button. #7441 is the part number for 100' cord but I'd take shorter if I could find it. The Zodiac/Jandy catalog has only 100' and longer now.

Follow up to replacing Spa Side Switch. Thanks to all those who gave advice here. All went well. The unit popped out with a screwdriver easily. The wire seemed stuck but a little work with a plastic drain cleaner (serrated plastic strip for a few $ at hardware store -- not sure of name of it) cleared the gunk that kept the wire from sliding well. After that it was all easy-peasy. Saved about $250 I guess, including both the local markup on the switch and labor charges. Yea!

I have same switch and red light in center remains lit, even with system off. Also none if the buttons work. However, Spa works fine from the outside service control panel and also from in the house. Any suggestions? thanks! Jay

Just beware, once that spa side switch starts to fail, any one of those buttons might activate itself at any time. That was why we had the weird light show on and off in the middle of the night.

I suggest that you follow the directions for de-activating the spa side switch in the instruction manual. That way it will still work with the inside and outside box, but no random actions that might harm equipment.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.