First week - New Pool in NJ

Feb 23, 2010
Central NJ
Well We finally finished out new Gunite Pool. Startup company come over and explained brushing, backwashing and chemicals. additionally he had some suggestion that I want to run past you veterans. Plis i have my own questions

1 -Been brushing 3 times a day for the last 5 days. My "Day 1" clean pressure stared at 10psi and I was back washing at 20. slowly my post backwashing pressure is now 20 psi. Is that normal?

2 - also, my water is crystal clear and I do not see any dust coming off as I brush. My pressure is remainig at 20 psi but my return pressure is still stong. should I backwash? I now havent backwashed in 2 days

3 - As of now I have been using mostly PH Down but have also added some algecide. When Do I add chlorine and start swimming?

4 - Start up guy recommended expansion gap caulking in place of my styrofoam the patio contract left in there

5 - I have very small bubbles comng out of one of my returns. Ive done a search and it seems most are due to SWG, but I don't have an SWG yet. I have N2 but havent added the mineral pod yet to the canister. Do you think I have a leak?

1) When you backwash are you adding new DE to the filter? It may be time to break the filter down and clean the grids.
2) See number 1.
3) You should have been adding chlorine since the beginning. If it's been a week you probably have the start of an algae bloom by now. Use Pool Calc and add chlorine sooner rather than later.
4) I agree with the startup guy. Caulking is way better than styrofoam.
5) Yes, you have air getting into the system somewhere on the suction side. The pump strainer lid is a common place for that to happen.

You should get a good test kit if you don't have one already. You should also NOT use the N2's mineral pak. You can do a search for nature2 here and find out about them.

Dominick said:
Yes - Im adding new DE each time I back wash. In fact I add slightly less then the equipment calls for. Im adding 5 lbs. for a DE60 which calls for 6 lbs. Can it be I need to clean my grids after oinly 1 week?
Yes. Especially if you're loading the filter with concrete dust. You've backwashed, what, 5 times? That's like 2 years' worth for me!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.