A few quick questions about pH

ElkPool

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 2, 2010
Elkridge, MD
Does lack of filtration cause the pH to rise? My pH is usually around 7 (I try to keep it up, but it keeps going down), but on one recent test I was surprised to get a bright red that looked close to 8.

Would lack of filtration/aeration (The filter shut off for a few days unbeknownst to me, and I also haven't been swimming in about a week) do this? Or was it something else?

The pH is now back down.

Does this mean I should run the filter less often? How come my pH always wants to come down? Eventually doesn't it get ENOUGH Borax??

Pump running or not has little to do with pH as a rule. The most common cause for pH going down is the use of pucks to chlorinate. Posting a set of test results may help us see something so just take the above as a guess.

What test kit do you have? Did you happen to switch to a new bottle of pH indicator solution? If you normally use Taylor R-0014 pH indicator for your testing and happened to buy a bottle of R-0004 pH indicator as a replacement, you might end up with this type of problem as the R-0004 calls for a different test block.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.