Dogs... (posts split from MOLES)

Apr 2, 2007
New2pools - that yellowish junk - I wouldn't take it too lightly - it looks like mustard algae - I've researched the heck out of this stuff since I've had it before, it's probably the worst algae to try and get rid of, it can live in relatively high chlorine concentrations and the only way I have found to get rid of it is to shock to 20+ ppm (25 preferrably), anything else and you'll find it shows it's ugly face every 2 days, gradually increasing in mass, once it gets beyond a certain point, it's a very long process to eliminate - get it early!

Shocking to 25ppm seemed to have cleared it for everyone at the other pool forum the last couple of years, so I'm relatively sure this will work for you.

As for mole tunnels - seriously - the tabasco sauce works like a charm, other alternatives are spraying castor oil over the inhabited area - it is also a deterrent - this method may be cheaper than wasting all your nice hot sauce. There are commercial spays available - all contain castor oil, so castor oil is your cheap alternative to expensive repackaged/relabeled products - just put it into one of those hose attachment mixers, set to a high concentration and water the lawn.
Lastly, the solution that seemed to work best for me can be made available to you (just pay shipping)
Sawyer1.jpg

I guarantee he won't sleep until the last mole is dead at your doorstep - oh, he may also deliver you the odd cat, squirrel, rat, bunny, deer and bird.
Disclaimer - I am not responsible for repairing your torn up property.

actually, he's an "all Canadian" or also referred to "back alley breed", "result of a one night stand", "oops" and many other terms.

From what we can gather, he's part yellow lab (colors and webbed feet), part collie (ears and head), part german shepherd (tail) and probably some other ones as well.
He's the most loving pup (to his family and friends), at 5 years old he still acts like 6 months (lab)
Oh, and he runs like the wind - fast as a greyhound -- never stops, also jumps like a champion and can climb over wire fences 10+ feet high (like a human would).
here's what I have posted at the entrances of my property....

warning.jpg

I Love it!!!! :lol: :lol:

Here's my baby (mix of golden/lab...we think) She's 4 and still acts 6 months too (lab AND golden,lol). She is THE sweetest dog you could ever meet. We adopted her from shelter where she had been dropped off along with her mother and siblings. :(

She's very protective of us but is a huge lovebug......and barks until we let her out to chase the squirrels up the tree. :lol:

When we brought her home......
Image003-1.jpg

and now.....
Lexilouwho.jpg

Okay, that's just freaky!!! :shock: Your dog does look just like mine! I swear, for a minute there as I scrolled to see the replies, I saw that pic and thought for a split second....."huh, where did that pic of Lexi come from"???? Wow.

She was born sometime around Sept/03. What breed is yours?

We adopted "Maizie" from an animal shelter. She was born in the shelter (july 02) and they said she was part golden and part husky.

Here's another pic. I know I have a pup picture of her and it looks just like Lexi as a pup, but I can't find it right now.
Maizie1.jpg

What a beautiful bunch of Dogs!
Well, this thread has certainly turned golden.
I'm glad to hear so many of you are adopting from shelters, both our dogs came from shelters, Sawyer (above - named after Tom Sawyer because of his mischievious nature), had 2 days left before the inevitable, my wife didn't want him because he seemed very "wild" - a perfect match for 5 acres of land IMO and I'm a real softie and couldn't let him go down that road. He's still as crazy as the day we got him, but you can't help but love him.
I truly believe there's no love greater than that of a rescued animal, they have the ability to sense that they were close to death and are forever grateful to you for giving them a new lease on life. Our malamute/wolf mix is a prime example of this, he was an unloved dog (possibly a guard dog), found by the SPCA with a choker embedded into his neck and a chunk of chain hanging from it (yes, he broke free - it must have been a bad situation for him). His voicebox was forever damaged. We fell in love with him although he looked/acted very scary, mangy and had a bad attitude. The day I picked him up to take home, I went to lift him into the back of my raised Jimmy, he nearly tore my face off, second thoughts were rushing through my head (mainly because I had a 3 yr old son), but instead of returning him, I verbally freaked on him and pointed in the truck, he jumped in and has never left my side from that day on, my son would climb all over this dog within days of getting him (much to my unease), but somehow, he never once acted that way again towards any of us.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We ought to change the Subject line on this thread to Dogs and maybe move it to Family and Pets, but I don't know how to do that.

Jake, the dog on the left, is one of our rescues. He was 8 months old when I got him and on death row. Jake had been adopted out twice before and escaped each time, only to wind back up in jail. He's a mixed breed, sibe x rottie x GSD most likely. An independent dog, running is in his genes as is a very strong pack drive. It was this pack drive, the need to be social, which made Jake such an excellent therapy dog. At one point in his career Jake was 'on call' by a group of neurologists who used him to elicit brain activity in comatose patients. Pretty awesome stuff! Jake is 13 now and retired. His greatest joy is to team hunt for rabbits with our 3 year old GSD. Pax flushes and does the chasing and Jake sits near the bunny trail and snags the critter. Because Jake is our alpha dog, he gets first bite. Sometimes it's Pax who catches and kills the rodents (rabbits, groundhogs, chipmunks, etc.) but he always presents it to Jake, first.

Our other rescue was Arko, found sick, dehydrated, tick infested, and bleeding in New Hampshire. He found his way to German Shepherd Rescue of New England and, from there, to us. We don't know how old he was when he joined us, maybe 8. Because of some extremely bad hips and other health problems everyone thought Arko had only 18 months left but he lived with us for 6 years and seemed to get younger by the day.

Since we're showing off dogs, here is a series of albums of our current pack: Jake, Marcus, and Pax. You might especially relate to the one titled Waterbabies. no, that's not our pool, we didn't yet have one when the pictures were taken.

So now you know my life: the pool and my dogs :)

Anna

oops....was in the middle of writing this post when it got moved here!! Gotta go delete my other one.......

ktdave,

I am literally amazed with every picture you post! I'm now thinking Lexi must have some Husky in her as well! The shelter was not positive but called them "Golden/lab" mixes so who knows!! We always thought there was something else in there besides those two.

What a great thread!! I have enjoyed looking at all the pics!
I love dogs and it truly breaks my heart to go to the shelters. I would bring them all home if I could. Lexi, along with her siblings AND her mother had just been dropped off the day we got her. They were out front in a pen at the shelter. When we brought her home she was covered in fleas/ticks, etc. It was awful. I did hear after though that all were adopted out, including the mother. BTW, this was at a no kill shelter. Wasn't the greatest place but they did their best to help all the dogs as best they could. And there were always tons of people there whenever we went.

I can't agree more with matt, rescued dogs somehow know that they were blessed with an act of kindness by the family that takes them in.

We have another rescued dog, a male, "Gus", mostly (if not all) lab. One of my neighbors found him out in a field in the middle of nowhere, covered in ticks and nothing but skin and bones. The neighbor already had 3 dogs so he showed the dog to me and I was a bit apprehensive at first due to the shape he was in, but I talked it over with my wife, we had actually been thinking of getting Maizie a playmate so we decided to take him in and he turned out to the kindest, sweetest dog we have ever known.

DSCF6914.jpg

I've got a rescued dog... beagle/maybe bassett/who knows what else... she seems to not realize how good she has it, and continues to potty in the house (not all the time, but enough to aggravate the heck out of me), tries to dig through the floor (not bad when it was the marble fireplace hearth, but now it is the carpet and the hardwood), and she thinks the end table and throw rugs are her personal snacks. She had best talk to your rescues lest she gets sent back. We have had her for 5 months, since she was 11 weeks old, and she is about to drive us nuts.
Anybody need a sweet but quirky hound dog??
DSC02022.jpg

awww, so cute. :wink: Lexi was a chewer. We really helped her not chew things she wasn't supposed to by getting her chew toys, etc (which she could chew through and apart in a day, no kidding!) Finally found a chew toy she loves and it takes her a long time to chew it apart. Its those Hartz bones that have little nibs on them and are pink and blue with a cream colored rim. They are perfect and she loves them!

Sorry you are having potty problems. Lexi has only had one accident in the house and that was quite a few years ago(new house we had just moved into--stress, new environment, I don't know). She is wonderful (and part human I think....or she thinks, :lol: )
We did have a little trouble with our Yorkie as of late but have curbed it by letting him out all the time (literally about every hour) He is a senior and so I just attribute it to him getting older, etc. (he's 12)

Dottie has rawhide chips and bones all over the place, which she chews on a lot, and loves stuffies, though we have to be careful to buy the small ones, or she just guts them. We did just get her a nylabone, which she also loves, but still sometimes goes back to the table. :roll:

I had a yorkie also who was a disaster in the housebroken arena, but he was small, so the mess was small... you know. There is quite a difference in the output between a 5# dog and a 40# one! :shock:

Grace,
I was having similar problems with one of our dogs and someone recommended that I read a book called "The Dog Listener" by Jan Fennell (LINK). I did read it and used some of the methods taught in the book and the outcome was amazing!

FWIW

Here's our little "Slate". Two year old mini-Schnauzer who absolutely hates the pool! Loves to hang out on the edge of the steps and watch us and hope for treats, but no actual contact with water. Her friend, a Westie, jumped into the pool and Slate was so jealous, she forgot herself and launched herself into the pool to get to the Westie who was with her "mom".........priceless to watch the expression on her face when she realized what she had done!

IMG_0476.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.