Why can't I see bottom of deepend?

May 8, 2010
Kendall Park, NJ
I am a new pool owner, this is my 2nd post. I started the shock process over a week ago, thanks to this forum! Pool really looks great with clear water. I have some pictures attached below. I think I have a leak in the liner, loosing more than an inch & half a day, I have left several messages for pool service guys but because of holidays no one has returned my calls, they must be really busy in my area! I fill everyday to maintain level so I can continue to fliter.

Water at shallow end of the pool is clear & steps and bottom are clearly visible, howver I can not see the deepend bottom at all. I am continuing to shock & trying to maintain FC 15 (pool calc syas 12) bit higher thinking that water will get clearer soon. I see no end to this process. I bought an Aquabot T2 which is working full time with pump on 24/7 for several days now, I still cant see deppend bottom!!!

I did overnight FC loss test and loss is zero. here are my numbers,

FC 15
TC 15
TA 90
CH 110
CYA 30 - 35
pH 7.5 may be bit higher
Br 10

What am i doing wrong? my questions are,

1) should I continue to shock at 12 or 15? or maintain FC levels of min 2 & target 4 based on my CYA 30?
2) Should I continue to run pump 24 hrs/day?
3) should I continue to run Aquabot T2 full time?
4) I read somewhere that I should see the deepend bottom & main drain before swimming is this correct?

I would appreciate if you can help me end shock process and get water clearer to see bottm at deepend.

http://i770.photobucket.com/albums/xx34 ... G_1984.jpg

http://i770.photobucket.com/albums/xx34 ... G_1974.jpg

http://i770.photobucket.com/albums/xx34 ... G_1976.jpg

http://i770.photobucket.com/albums/xx34 ... G_1977.jpg

http://i770.photobucket.com/albums/xx34 ... G_1982.jpg

Thanks.

If you are holding your FC overnight and you have less than 0.5 CC, then this is likely just a filtration issue. I would go ahead and keep the pump running 24/7 until the cloudiness clears from the pool. You can go ahead and let the FC fall to normal levels for a pool with 30 ppm of CYA.

Since you have a sand filter, you might see some benefit by adding DE to the sand filter in order to catch those smaller particles that are suspended in the water. Here's how to do that...

pool-school/add_de_to_a_sand_filter

My newbie opinion: If i were you, once the FC is at normal level, I would confirm and address the PH. For me, the PH is my visual clue when it comes to clarity.

Also, it might help to check that the skimmers and returns are flowing correctly. When I got my house my valves were at odd settings and one of my skimmer baskets was floating instead of down.

With an 8 foot deep end if there are no operational floor drains or returns pointing downward, then the circulation in the depths of the pool may be poor. Or it could be a filtration issue as was discussed above. Adding DE to the sand filter and making sure the water in the deep end is getting stirred up and circulated would be two things to try.

Thanks for the quick response & support.

257 - I read how to add DE to sand filter, thanks. This process seems to be an easy process and would like to definitely try but where can I buy DE? And is there specific brand or form (powder/granular etc..) I need to watch for?

Backwash was done just recently (2days) and the gauge works fine and now its at 13 psi.

Just bought the house but previous owner said he had inspected and changed sand either last year or year before, not sure.

Skimmers & returns seem to be working just fine.

I’ll drop FC to normal target and then try to hold it there. Then I will adjust pH to 7.2.

Is there anything else I need to do?

P.S: My pool is actually 16x37 with 24,400 gals, just edited my sig.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Sorry for the delayed response, I was busy preparing for the move, still packing...

I'd like to thank everyone here, my water is crystal clear!! Its unbelievable, I never thought I would get anything close to this clarity being a new owner. Attached are some pictures,

IMG_1995.jpg

IMG_1993.jpg

IMG_1989.jpg

Above clarity was achieved without DE, I will however try DE soon to see if makes any difference.
My numbers today are,

FC 8 - as soon my CYA reaches 30, will drop this to target ~4 or so.
CC 0.5
CYA 20 (CYA in skimmer enough to get to 30)
pH 7.4
TA 70
CH 110

I found all kinds of tools, goggles & other junk in the deepend so it took a long time to clean, also had 10 leaks in the liner (2 on side wall & 8 at bottom deep end - all taken care of), loosing about 3 inches a day for about 7 days, CYA was 0 when i tested yesterday so I am bringing it back to 30.

I am thrilled your pool is so clear. It's a great feeling, isn't it? Congratulations on your diligence.

Rereading this whole thread, I believe the reason your problem was so extended was your lack of CYA. You started with none or very little and then constantly diluted whatever little CYA you did have.

Having a pool with zero CYA quickly burned up the FC you were adding. That made your clearing process ineffective and drawn out.

It sure sounds like you have a good handle on it now......Nice work! :lol:

Thanks Duraleigh. Yes now i realize that was probably my main issue why it took so long, but all the junk I didn't know existed down there didn't help the situation either.

Now that the pool is clear I can finally move on to other things like landscaping etc....

I would like your opinion however on trouble free way to maintain FC for someone that cant add bleach everyday, would it be SWG or a liquidator? I have done some search here but thought I'll ask anyway. I am leaning towards liquidator to add liquid chlorine or bleach automatically partly because thats the only thing I know and have done in the last few days or so. ..

I would not rush into a purchase. You might find that every other day bleach addition is sufficient. Your CYA is not high so you could use trichlor pucks for a limited time. Here is a thread that discusses alternatives: choosing-an-automatic-chlorinator-t11752.html

The liquidator requires hauling bleach every two weeks. A SWG requires an initial investment but makes a pool as “set and forget” as possible. Many people prefer the water feel of a salt water pool. I recommend that you use the BBB method this summer. After you maintain the pool for awhile you will have a better feel for how you want to add Cl for the long term.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.