What is the effect of low PH levels

Jul 4, 2010
Hi

I have an open air pool in Spain and though I have had it for four years know almost nothing about pools - other than how to clean them.

The sand in my filter needs replacing, but I have put off doing it because I need to have some work done to replace tiles and a crack where the pool meets the patio.

Last week the chorline levels were low, even though there are still some tablets in the dispenser. So I put extra chorline in the pool.

This week the PH levels are very low. I will get some PH plus tomorrow, but in the meantime I would like to know what the effect is of low, or high, PH levels. I only have a simple test kit which shows four levels, it is on the lowest one.

Putting aside the chemistry and water balance aspects, the low pH could possibly damage a liner by causing wrinkles, hardening and elongation. This is partly due to the acid dissolving the calcium carbonate used as a filler in PVC formulations. Elongation then allows the disinfectant to further penetrate the membrane possibly leading to discoloration.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.