New bilge, I mean pool, owner (KenV)

KenV

Jul 2, 2010
Greetings all.

We picked up our first house in late 2008, and they had emptied/cleaned/refilled the pool. While we worked on other projects (old house) we had no time to swim and kept the sucker chlorinated and killed off the occasional greening until I fell ill in mid-2009. During those months the pool occupied the back burner. Not a good situation, lol. It went green, then black. As it sits now we scrubbed the bloom and chlorinated it half to heck, so the shallow and middle portions are pretty clear, with the deep end having up to 6" of black goo by my estimation. That disaster aside, we'll be keeping the pool ourselves once we get a cleaner to remove the nastiness...or do it ourselves if possible. I need to look up and see if the built-in pump can be used to drain us down/vac out the goo, but I digress. Off to browse/learn, thanks for the site.

K

Welcome Ken! This site is an amazing resource! and everyone is sooo helpful :)

Don't worry ~ you're pool will be 100% clear in no time following BBB...

Oh and take the pool school articles in bits - it's a little overwhelming at first.

Oh and plz put pool info in your signature... like mine and other peoples. That answers a lot of questions up front that people have...avoids assumptions. :)

Good morning and Happy Independence Day!

I'll get info when I get my bearings in the pool house. So far all I know is that it's plaster, has a furnace and three pumps, and needs the bottom cleaned. Badly :lol:

I saw the kits mentioned. I have strips but didn't know they don't cover the range I need until getting here. When we bought the house I thought "Chlorine and a net are all I'll ever need". I'll laugh more about it when the muck at the bottom is gone.

We're checking into a pump rental today. Until then we are looking at netting the bottom for all that bilge goo...if a pic of the pool will help I'd be glad to post it. Wow, that garbage from the bottom smells like dead things.

Off to it, thanks again.

K

KenV said:
When we bought the house I thought "Chlorine and a net are all I'll ever need".
K

Actually, you are not far off.

Our pool was left with equipment like the vacuum and long poles with skimmer nets and leaf rake.

In 20 months of pool ownership I have bought extra brushes (Wall Whale brush, 2 Stainless Steel brushes), Muriatic Acid, and Chlorine (all sorts; bleach (chlorine 6%), as well as "Liquid Shock (chlorine 10%)", pucks (trichlor), and "powder shock (cal-hypo)" from pool stores).

And, most importantly, test supplies; first strips then the TF100. I refill the TF100 but not the strips. Bought online.

Oh, and parts for the Polaris, all minor wear parts, plus skimmer socks. All bought online now.

One minor equipment repair, way overpriced, next time I'll do that. One major service call to find a leak, money well spent.

Note that all I get in pool stores is chlorine, in one form or another.

Thanks for the tips. Sounds like what we found: Stainless brush, leaf rake, leaf skimmer. I have two boxes of DE and about 15 1-lb packs of Kem-Tek powder (40% trichlor).

FYI I dropped in five packs of the powdered trichlor to clear the water a couple of days ago, and while the water cleared, the bottom muck became visible. At least there's nothing living in the pool now. I'm about to go slooooooooooowly drag the rake across the bottom to get the dead stuff into the wheelbarrow. We have an acre that includes a fallow area perfect for letting this stuff dry out. I couldn't imagine trying to put that stuff in the garbage. Yikes.

BTW I just ordered the XL kit from TFT. We're in CA so it'll take a week, but I have time to clean the Apollo and the bottom. Gotta go shut off the floor drain now that I read on here that it could clog :!: