What are these geen \ brown \ black dots?

LeeM2

Jul 3, 2010
I'm a new in-ground pool owner. First when the pool was opened it had some brown \ green spots. I shocked it with Powder PRO and it all cleared up, but some very light brown spots remain although they get lighter and lighter. Also, it seems like vitamin C removes the brown, but not right away but if left for some time. According to water tests I don't have metal.

I have some of these dots in the pool that are hard to get rid of. I had a lot of small black dots in one place, but rubbing them with a chlorine tablet cleared most of them away. The green ones don't go away when I rub with chlorine or brush.
It seems like if I got more of these dots when I forgot to shock my pool one week and shocked 4 days later and the weather was hot (in 90s F). (I shock my pool every sunday)

Also, I have this yellow dust that disappears in water when I brush it or even when I just move my hand over it. I don't think it's sand. What can it be? I'll take a picture during the day and attach it here later

Please advise.

Thanks.

Attachments

• P1010339.JPG
    P1010339.JPG
    207.6 KB · Views: 214
  • P1010344.JPG
    P1010344.JPG
    230.3 KB · Views: 214
  • P1010349.JPG
    P1010349.JPG
    219 KB · Views: 214
Mustard algae perhaps????? If you're having to 'shock' your pool every week-----------that only means one thing--------you are NOT keeping your free chlorine levels high enough to avoid having to shock. When you 'shock', are you rechecking your FC levels to know if you've actually 'shocked it long enough to get rid of the beasties. Shock is a process----not just an additive. You may not be getting your FC levels high enough when you do it, much less maintaining it long enough.

woodyp said:
Mustard algae perhaps????? If you're having to 'shock' your pool every week-----------that only means one thing--------you are NOT keeping your free chlorine levels high enough to avoid having to shock. When you 'shock', are you rechecking your FC levels to know if you've actually 'shocked it long enough to get rid of the beasties. Shock is a process----not just an additive. You may not be getting your FC levels high enough when you do it, much less maintaining it long enough.

I thought it's a good practice to shock weekly. Is it wrong? Are you saying I need to check my FC levels right after I shock (I shock at night, so in the morning I guess) and then once again on the day I shock before I shock?
My chlorine levels are probably down to 1 by the time I shock it again. They used to drop down to 0 in 2 days, I was advised to add "instant conditioner" and after that the chlorine level has been within range. I don't really know what that "instant conditioner" is for, I know it was around $70 and I hope I really needed it.

LeeM2 said:
woodyp said:

I thought it's a good practice to shock weekly. Is it wrong? My chlorine levels are probably down to 1 by the time I shock it again.
If you keep Chlorine high enough consistently, you will never have to shock your pool again. I suggest you immerse yourself in Pool School.

Those dots may be algae, but it sorta looks like rust to me.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but you are being "pool stored", big time.

Start in Pool School... Order yourself one of the recommended kits online, and take control of your pool. Then you won't have to set foot in a pool store unless you choose to, and you'll save yourself a ton of money and alot of frustration. :)

I promise, we can help you achieve a trouble-free pool.

It's only a good "practice" to shock weekly for the pool store! YEP, you're being buffaloed. This instant conditioner sounds like CYA in liquid form maybe? They had you add that to hold some of your chlorine in reserve to keep it from burning off too fast. Nice plan BUT----- You need to raise your chlorine level and keep it there (allowing for 2-3 ppm being used up) on a daily basis and still have 3-4 ppm left at the end of the day most likely. So you're looking at a "Starting" level of chlorine at 5, 6 or maybe 7. Mine is full sun all day, and with CYA at 50, I start at 8. It burns off/uses up 3-3.5 ppm daily---and still leaves me at 4 or 4.5 which is the minimum for my CYA level to maintain sanitization as an example. Only way you can avoid shocking weekly. Without your own GOOD test kit and knowledge found here-------you're at their mercy. TF100 in my sig line. The results they are giviing you on water tests are more than likely WAAAAAY off! It can be absolutely unbelievable. Been there----done that.

Thanks for reply guys. I just found a "Pool and spa test kit" in my garage, which comes with 2 bottles and tests chlorine and ph level. I tested the water with it and the colors don't much anything. I don't know who manufactures this test kit and how may years it's been sitting in the garage, but I guess the results will be different depending on which test kit you use.

I hoped pool maintenance was going to be easy. :)

IT IS!................(with the right test kit and folks here). Pick one recommended here and get it. You'll save that much just on gas for trips to the pool store. I will assume the chemicals in the kit you found went bad in the heat way back when. It wasn't gonna do much for you brand new though.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Where are you guys buying your TF100 kits?
Do the chemicals used in these test kits expire at some point?
I live in the NE and will probably be closing pool in September. Just want to make sure I get enough to go through the remaining couple months, if they do expire.

Thanks again

LeeM2 said:
Where are you guys buying your TF100 kits?
Do the chemicals used in these test kits expire at some point?
I live in the NE and will probably be closing pool in September. Just want to make sure I get enough to go through the remaining couple months, if they do expire.

Thanks again
If you test as often as you should, you'll use them up long before they go bad. Taylor says a year, but if you store them in the house - no temperature extremes, that is - and out of direct sunlight, you can use what's left when you open next year. Duraleigh posted something about it a few weeks ago, you could try searching "shelf life." (in the very bottom left of this page)

TF100 comes from tftestkits.net. Spend the extra money and get the speedstir. It really helps with the CH test!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.