considering backyard kitchen...advice welcome

vapool

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 2, 2007
Just signed contract on pool; waiting for permits. Hubby's been making noise about doing a backyard kitchen to go with the pool, but I've just kinda pooh-poohed him.. at least until today when I went to the county fair and saw some great outdoor kitchen islands for sale. This, combined with my DH accidentally leaving our Weber on (natural gas) for 2 days (which made the interior lid coating start to peel) has me thinking that maybe this is something we should investigate.

Not wanting to spend a bajillion dollars for a premade unit, this seems like something that could be a DIY project (and a way for DH to redeem himself for destroying the Weber). We'd be looking at a grill, fridge, storage, island/peninsula/bar...just the essentials for hosting a party w/o having to run into the house every 5 minutes. Is this really a fairly straightforward DIY project (hubby is pretty handy...built an addition on our house) or am I underestimating? We will want to stay with a natural gas grill (with strict orders, of course, to turn off IMMEDIATELY after cooking!) What are some good components/brands we should be looking for? Any good guides/plans out there? TIA

vapool said:
Just signed contract on pool; waiting for permits. Hubby's been making noise about doing a backyard kitchen to go with the pool, but I've just kinda pooh-poohed him.. at least until today when I went to the county fair and saw some great outdoor kitchen islands for sale. This, combined with my DH accidentally leaving our Weber on (natural gas) for 2 days (which made the interior lid coating start to peel) has me thinking that maybe this is something we should investigate.

Not wanting to spend a bajillion dollars for a premade unit, this seems like something that could be a DIY project (and a way for DH to redeem himself for destroying the Weber). We'd be looking at a grill, fridge, storage, island/peninsula/bar...just the essentials for hosting a party w/o having to run into the house every 5 minutes. Is this really a fairly straightforward DIY project (hubby is pretty handy...built an addition on our house) or am I underestimating? We will want to stay with a natural gas grill (with strict orders, of course, to turn off IMMEDIATELY after cooking!) What are some good components/brands we should be looking for? Any good guides/plans out there? TIA

Go to forums at BBQGALORE.com.
http://forums.bbqgalore.com/backyard/fo ... y.bbq?f=22

Definately check out BBQGAlore, a great site with everything one needs to do a DIY outdoor kitchen.

These outdoor kitchen are becoming huge, pretty soon they are going to be standard features on a house. Hopefully mine will be one of them when I get some $$.

riles

As much as it might seem like the macho in him wanting it, it will be more beneficial to you than him, most likely. I don't know about you, but when we're in our backyard enjoying the pool, with or without friends, I am always the one making trip after trip inside for various odds and ends. If it were up to my husband, we'd just do without whatever it was that required a trip inside (unless it was his beer, of course!) We have a big island and with as much storage as it has, I still think of things we need to keep out there. We get so much more use out of our pool since we can hang out there all day. When we have friends over, we can do it all outside and never have to make the kids get out of the pool.
The only thing I'd change on mine is a bigger grill. When it's time for a new one we'll be cutting a bigger hole and putting in the biggest we can find.

I have cooked out doors for years now and really enjoy it. Here are a couple of things I have learned.

You might consider a Barbecue on wheels the reason that the wind dosen't always come from the right
direction and you get to have smoke in your face. Also, consider having the Barbeque under cover unless you like
to stand out in the hot sun. You can get pads to put under the Barbecue to catch the splatters, keeps the
deck clean. I have also a stainless steel cart that has a Granite top that makes a good work table and drink
cooler. You can load this up at the door and push it to the barbecue or table. You will need covers for the equipment,
as around here they get dirty rather quickly. And last, get Natural gas plumbed to the Barbecue saves a last minute
run to get the cylinder refilled.

And yes, I barbecue at 110 deg. or otherwise I go hungry for dinner. Humm, what am I going to
have tonight.

Cliff s

Hers's what I did. Before we started pool build, we decided where the outdoor kitchen will be. I had the PB stub out a water line, drain for sink, gas line and electrical conduit. When I start my kitchen this fall, everything is right there.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.