PoolLife Sand Filter Cleaner

VA

May 24, 2007
Baldwin City, Kansas
Last summer we did not open our pool. We had particularly funky water as a result. We needed to paint our pool this season, which we did, so all is good. While ordering a new pump basket from my old pool supply store, and discussing not opening the pool last summer, the manager suggested I use a sand filter cleaner. She said the sand filter probably had lots of 'gunk' in it due to it sitting idle last summer.

Is it a good idea to use this? The directions say to pour 8 oz. in the skimmer while the filter is backwashing and use each time I backwash.

I'd backwash it good and see what the discharge loooks like. THen I'd do as Dave says and open it up and inspect the sand. I doubt that you need the sand cleaner but if you already have it and can't return it you can use it.

Thanks to both of you for your responses. We did open the filter before we started up the pump, and it wasn't alarming, just smelled a little swampy. We backwashed after running the pump for 24 hrs and before we added stabilizer. Water looks great, and after adding the stabilizer with the use of several socks, seems to be retaining the chlorine.

I appreciate your help!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.