Water Balance for SWG Questions

Jun 29, 2010
League City, Texas
Well..just got my TF-100 today and ran all of the tests. We have been getting rain like crazy (from Hurricane Alex)...no sun for the last 2 days. My SWG is set for 80%. I have had to drain some water from the pool to keep from overflowing. My pool has scaling and also "had" algae on the bottom of the rock ledges-but water was and still is very clear. I think that I have gotten rid of the algae. My question is regarding the FC, CC, PF and TA levels. I added 1 gal of muriatic acid last weekend and reduced my PH from 8.2 to 7.2 (test done at store on 6/27/10). Today, my PH is back up between 7.8-8.2 (it was kinda medium-dark pink). What should I do first? Help!!

Tests from 6/27/10 (done at pool store)
FC: 5
cc: not done?
TC: not done?
PH: 7.2 (was 8.2 two days before adding 1 gal of acid)
TA: 80
CH: 280
CYA: 30
Temp: 85

Tests done today with TF-100
FC: 18
CC: 1
TC: 19
PH: hard to tell (between 7.8-8.2)
TA: 160
CH: 400
CYA: 80
temp: 82

The pool calculator says pool has the potential to become scaling.

I have read the article on water balance for SWG, but wanted to know if I am done "shocking" for the algae and how do i reduce the FC level now? What to do first? I have probably taken about 4 inches of water from the pool since yesterday b/c of the rains..but the pool calculator is telling me to lower CH by taking 35% of the water out...How could this have changed so much in 1 week? Since last month I have probably drained about 32 inches of water from the pool (trying too get rid of high salt level) I clearly am over my head!! Any help/ feedback/ direction would be greatly appreciated!

Your FC level is fairly high, so you should ignore the PH reading until the FC level comes down. When FC is down, you want to continue lowering FC to around 7.2, which will help bring down your TA, which is too high.

Your CC level is higher than 0.5, so you should continue shocking.

I have probably read too many articles/posts and so I'm getting confused, but if I continue to shock (SWG @ 80%)...then my FC will not come down? So, your advice is to keep shocking which will keep my FC high...and the reason for that is to get my CC down to .5 and then I can start to reduce my PH with muriatic acid? It's still raining, but at least my grass is really green!

First, to preserve your cell life, you should shock with liquid chlorine/bleach. Refer to the CYA chart for your shock level, and then use the Pool Calculator to determine how much chlorine to add.

Turn the SWG Off, and perform an overnight FC loss test. If your FC holds overnight and your CC is .5 or less, you can allow the FC to drop back to normal and then resume SWG operation.

Once the FC is below 10, you can adjust PH as needed.

(did you add CYA to increase the level from 30 to 80?)

frustratedpoolmom said:
First, to preserve your cell life, you should shock with liquid chlorine/bleach. Refer to the CYA chart for your shock level, and then use the Pool Calculator to determine how much chlorine to add.

Turn the SWG Off, and perform an overnight FC loss test. If your FC holds overnight and your CC is .5 or less, you can allow the FC to drop back to normal and then resume SWG operation.

Once the FC is below 10, you can adjust PH as needed.

(did you add CYA to increase the level from 30 to 80?)

I just purchased a new turbo cell last Friday! (the old one was about 4 yrs old--probably needed b/c I had no clue about how to use it in the first place!) The shock level based upon my CYA is 24.

The overnight FC loss test...is that just performing another FC test? if not, can you point me to the article?

Regarding the CYA..I added liguid CYA about a week and a half ago b/c the pool place said I had none. About 3 weeks ago, I added 1/2 a bucket of CYA granuals, but the pool place said it was not registering and was probably stuck in the filters, which I had cleaned out before going back to the pool place :hammer:

Thanks so much for all your help!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.