new pool owner

Jun 15, 2010
San Rafael, CA
Hi everybody,

So I got this house a few months ago that has a 23,000 gallons pool kidney shaped with a depth of 8 and 4 ft. I used the chlorine tables and these are the results of the water test I took yesterday:
Ph 7.6
TA 90
CH 190
Cya 90
FC .8
CC 0
The water is clear

Since the CYA is so high I decided to use the liquid sodium hypochlorite from OSH and last night I added about 4pt. This morning FC was 3.2

I use a solar cover to decrease the water evaporation and the water temperature should be around 75

Please let me know what else do I need to do and whether I should use tables or liquid chlorine going forward.

Thank you so much,
Adrian

Thanks for reply.

Alright, I'm going to add liquid chlorine until FC gets to 7-8.

Can I use chlorine tablets after that or should I stick to the liquid chlorine? What I'm asking is whether the CYA can get higer than that using tablets...

Thank you,
Adrian

CYA is high enough, maybe too high, no more pucks for you. With CH at 190 you could go to cal-hypo if you wanted to, you'd have to brush the pool to mix it in well after broadcasting it in the deep end. That will add some CH to the pool, use the Pool Calculator, Effects of adding chemicals, to find out exactly how much for your pool.

Personally I like to keep some cal-hypo on hand since it stores over a longer time than bleach, nice to have a lot on hand should some accident require a LOT of chlorine really fast and there is no time to find bottles and bottles of bleach. (ie, dead critter in the pool, fecal accident, etc)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.