FC - 9.5
    CC - 0
    TC - 9.5
    pH - 7.8
    T/A - 90
    CH - 270
    CYA - 50
    Temp - 93

Okay, over a 3 week period I have added 9 lbs of CYA (no backwashing nor filter cleaning). Why is my CYA not higher??? Any thoughts or suggestions? I have been trying to get my CL down this past week but running it much lower but not seeing much difference (went from 10.5 to 9.5). Any thoughts or suggestions would be great! Thanks
    ~Andrea

24,000 IG with spa and 4 ton waterfall. Equipment: Pentair 520 Clean & Clear, Pentair VS+SVRS Intelliflo, Pentair Whisperflo 2 HP, Polairis Cleaner, Intellibrites, Pentair Rainbow 320 in-line Chlorinator, Pentair Easy touch 8 wireless and spa side remote.

2. Back To Top    #2
    There have been several reports this season of stabalizer that either wasn't full strength or didn't have any CYA in it at all. It is possible that that is happening to you.

Also, keep in mind that it is important not to backwash/clean the filter for a week after adding CYA.

You should be able to turn down the percentage on your SWG and the FC level will come down over the next day or two. If it doesn't come down enough in three days turn the percentage down some more.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I have not backwashed nor cleaned filter since adding any of the CYA. So, guess I just have to add more of that costly CYA - UGH!

I usually run my SWG at 80%. Last thursday I think I turned it down to 50 or so then went out of town so left it at 60% for fri - sun. Tested Sun night and it was still holding at 10.5. Reduced it down to 25% for mon, tues and today yet when I tested late this afternoon it was only 9.5. SHould I reduce it even lower?
    ~Andrea

24,000 IG with spa and 4 ton waterfall. Equipment: Pentair 520 Clean & Clear, Pentair VS+SVRS Intelliflo, Pentair Whisperflo 2 HP, Polairis Cleaner, Intellibrites, Pentair Rainbow 320 in-line Chlorinator, Pentair Easy touch 8 wireless and spa side remote.

4. Back To Top    #4

If you have already used up your "CYA", remember that you can also add CYA by using Dichlor as your source of chlorine for a while. For every 1 ppm FC added by Dichlor, it also adds 0.9 ppm to CYA.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"