Best method for cleaning scale from tile

Re: Best mothod for cleaning scale from tile

skinnydipper said:
I've tried vinegar and a scrub brush but it's not working. I've been told muriatic acid, but how do you do this? How should I apply it and what kind of face protection would I need? Will it mess up the tile? Should it be diluted?

I noticed no one had replied, so I thought I'd chime in. . . there's such a thing as pool tile cleaner that you can get from pool stores. I don't think acid would be good for the tile; ok for plaster, tho it does take off the outer layer.

I saw a recent recommendation here for pool tile cleaner, but I don't think a specific brand was mentioned.

duraleigh said:

Thanks Duraleigh! This is very helpful.

What I'm concerned with specifically is my tile/grout. It has an ugly ring around the pool at the normal water line. I have let it evaporate away quite a bit so I had room to work, it's just going sooooo slow with the vinegar/scrub brush. Not to mention, I smell like italian dressing when I give up and get out! :?

Is tile a lot more delicate than the plaster? I'm afraid of ruining it, that could be quite costly.

I'm pretty sure your tile is bulletproof. It's most likely porcelain and will resist just about anything that would try to stain or etch it. Acid (stronger than vinegar....say about 1:5 muriatic) SHOULD be fine on the tile. Actually, done with care, it should be fine on the grout as well.....just apply it in a small spot so if you see it harming the grout you can stop. (It'll have a tendency to lighten your grout a little but, again, done carefully, it is an excellent scale remover.

If you apply the acid/water mixture and it doesn't foam, it's not strong enough. If it foams violently for a minuite or so....Oops! too much. Throw some pool water on it.

First, I would suggest cleaning that line with something just a little soapy (Ajax or comet in small amounts would be fine) to remove any organic scum. I would then suggest mixing 1:5 (muriatic to water) to start and, in the pool with rubber gloves, begin to apply the solution to the scale line. I think you'll be impressed with the results.

Like anything else, a big dose of common sense goes a long way when handling acid.

Well, the Italian dressing analogy has whetted my appetite. Time for the house (my house) salad! :lol: :lol:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.