Cloudy water

robc8

Jul 2, 2010
Hi I am new to owning a pool so all help is greatly appreciated. I have an Intex pool 10'x20'x52" Filled it added Chlorine (Bleach)and the water was Crystal clear then I read the pool school instructions and I went out and bought pool shock 3lbs of it to be exact. Added 12oz of it a night for 4 nights like it said now my water is no longer clear it is cloudy or milky looking and the chlorine still drops to almost 0 during the day. I only have a basic $5 test kit I am waiting for the tft one to be delivered so i can not give any levels yet except I know the PH is to high. What can I do in the mean time to clear it up?

Welcome to TFP....You bought shock after reading pool shool :hammer: ...just kidding.

On a serious note, hopefully you will have that test kits soon. What was the active ingredient in that shock, my guess is it might have been calhypo? Powdered shock can sometimes cause cloudiness, but my guess is that your CYA may be fairly low and you chlorine is burning up too fast. Either way, make sure your filter is clean and run it 24/7 until the water clears. Any way you could get the water tested at a local pool store and post the results? We'll be able to help you out more precisley with some numbers...until then add 2-3 cups of regular 6% bleach every 4 hrs or so to keep things at bay until you can get the water tested. And avoid swimming until we can help diagnose the issue.

#'s needed

FC
CC
TC
PH
TA
CH
CYA

and in the mean time, please read up on our pool school articles :goodjob:

Ok I went to the pool store and this is what my water tested

FC 0
cc they did not know what that was even after I explained it
tc 0
ph 8
Ts 180
CH again they did not know what that was
CYA 30 -50
I have been putting in 3 cups of Bleach every 4 like yo usugested and it is still reading 0. So what is the next step? Again I apreciate the help

The best thing you could possibly do is to get a top quality test kit. It is difficult to make progress without knowing exactly what is going on with your pool. I recommend the TFTestKits.net TF-100. The Taylor K-2006 is also good.

My best guess is that your CYA level is actually much lower, near zero, and you are losing all of your chlorine to sunlight each day.

Yes Ordered the tf-100 and I am just waiting for it to arive. Dman sugested going to the pool place to get my water tested while I was waiting for the kit to show up. So do I add CYA? Or wait and just keep adding Chlorine untill the Kit shows up? I think I will take another water sample to a different pool store tommorow and have them test my water. Meanwhile is there anything else I can do to start clearing the water up?

Yup...in lieu of having a good test kit, pool store results are a good start, byut unfortunately you got a dud...sorry. Honestly without the kit it will be hard, nor do you really know what your CYA level is, which determines what your shock level is. You can trying adding more and more bleach every few hours, but I'd hate to see you waste money and not make progress. Adding bleach can help, but adding to much is not that great either. If you think you'll have the kit tomorrow...dump a jug in tonight...if it's coming Tues...let it go, shocking and defeating algae is done best by bringing water up to shock level fast and keeping it at that level (fast and hard)...without a kit...that's hard to acheive.

What was the brand of Pool Shock and what are the ingredients? Some add CYA, some do not. We ought to be able to calculate what your CYA is, if it is not 0, by knowing 3 lbs of what sort of Shock product.

BTW, start making a record of everything you add to the pool. Knowing what is going on depends on knowing what has already been added.

I bought the shock at Walmart the brand is HTH Shock and swim. the ingreadiants say calcium hypochlorite 47.6% other ingreadiants 52.4% pool; store said to lower my ph and all would clear up. what do you think?
Again thanks for the help

OK, cal-hypo will not have CYA in it but it does add to CH. Not sure what your CH value is but let's assume that it is not high. Knowing your location will help us guess. Also you can call your water department, on Tuesday, and ask them if you do not have a water report on file. I just got one mailed to me, they do that annually. It may also be online.

So, CYA is 0.

JasonLion and Dman are both offering good advice. You have some choices, add powdered shock (dichlor) or bleach & CYA separately. Since it is cloudy you want to get to shock level based on the CYA you put into the water. I am not sure which is best or more economical for your size pool and so we should wait for someone who knows better.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If the clouding is from the cal-hypo, yes, lowering the PH might help. If your $5 tester shows the PH that high then yes, lower it. You would use Muratic Acid, and use the Pool Calculator to determine how much to add to lower the PH down to 7.2.

Go ahead and do that, then you can focus on your chlorine/CYA issue.

Where can I buy Muratic Acid? My location is NJ. and I have well water not city water so I can't get a water report I do know that my water is very hard. This all started when I thougth Dichlor and the shock I used was the same thing so where can I buy dichlor as well?

You can usually find dichlor in the pool departments of Lowes, HD, hardware stores - places that sell "spa" supplies - it may be in 1 lb bags but it may be in 1-2 lb cannisters. You have to read the label for the active ingredient (dichloro-s-triazinetrione). Otherise go to the local pool store.

Muratic Acid is sold in pool stores, or in hardware stores - check the paint department, or you may need to ask the employee where they have it. There are varying strengths so read the label.

Ok How do I add the muratic acid? do I just pour it in the pool? Or do I take a bucket of pool water and mix it in and then pour the bucket in the pool? Or do I pour it in the skimmer? or is there another method? Again thank you everyone for all and any help I am so new to the pool world and I really apreciate the help.

First, be sure that at least 30 minutes have passed since you added chlorine. Wear eye protection. Then, try to stand upwind so you don't have to hold your breath. Then, use a 1 quart measuring cup. Carefully open the bottle, you will need something to puncture the plastic seal under the cap.

With the filter running, position yourself at a return, I prefer the deep end of the pool, depending on wind direction. Measure the required amount or, if you are not 100% certain of the size of your pool, use 1/2 the expected amount. Slowly pour it over the returns flow so that it mixes well. Let it mix for 30 minutes before adding chlorine or allowing swimming.

I'll add this about MA..cuz I just inhaled it myself this morning. :hammer:

When the humidity is high it seems the fumes 'stick' in the air longer than on a less humid day.

If you don't wear a mask when using it...at least pull your tshirt collar or whatever up over your mouth and nose.

ok I waited about 45 min then did another water test with my $5 test kit (still waiting for the tft-100 to be delivered) the PH is now 6.8 so I guess I put too much muratic acid in should I start adding borax now or wait a little bit then add it later?

Ah yes, that is why being certain of the pool size is so important.

First, the pool was circulating all that 45 minutes?

Lets check what you did on the Pool Calculator and see what happened. What is strength of MA according to label? How much did you add? What pH were you expecting ? (This is why I keep a log of these things!)

Yes the pool has been circulating non stop for 3 days now including the 45 min after adding the MA. label says the MA strength is 31.45 I added 16oz have 6400gal pool. pool caluculater said add 15oz (I know I added an extra oz)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.