Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: autofill/water leveler

1. Back To Top    #1

autofill/water leveler

I live in OKC and the temps have been over 100 for the past several weeks. I have noticed my neighbor's pool losing quite a bit of water to evaporation and I expect to see the same. I was wondering if anyone has experience or recommendations regarding an autofill valve (if that is what it's called) that will add water to the pool as required. I know that a garden hose will do the same thing, but since I am early in the build process, I thought it was worth asking about. My idea is to tie into the supply line of my sprinkler system to get the water to the pool. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
    inground liner Grecian "L"
    34000 gallons
    1 HP whisperflo, TA100 sand filter
    Autopilot digital SWG, SC-60 cell
    Hayward Colorlogic LED lights

2. Back To Top    #2
    Auto level systems (fill and drain) are nice and not too expensive when installed with the pool. The only problem is that if you have a leak you can't really tell except that all of your chemical levels will keep falling.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3
    Any recommendations on a particular brand that has worked well? I have noticed poolmiser/poolsmart but don't really know anything about them.
    34000 gallons

4. Back To Top    #4
    I have a Letro auto leveler installed. The shutoff valve for mine is easily to get to in the basement. I can here it running and turn it off a few times during the season to monitor the water level. Have to remember to winterize it with everything else.
    IG 18x36 oval vinyl, Spill over spa, Northstar 2hp-2spd, 2.5" piping, S310T 500lb Sand filter, 400k gas heater, AutoPilot SWCG
    http://www.tftestkits.net/

5. Back To Top    #5
    I live in Austin, TX, similar climate. I have a Pool Miser autolevelr. You just set the float level, it's exactly the same mechanism found in toilets and forget. I had the input side of mine plumbed to my irrigation system during construction.

6. Back To Top    #6
    Yep, if you have confidence in your toilets, the auto-fill is the same thing.
    11,000 gal. gunite w/midnight blue and white pearl PebbleTec
    Intelliflo 4x160 pump
    Intellichlor IC-20 SWG
    Pentair cartridge filter 420 sq. ft.
    Mastertemp 400K BTU heater
    Legend Platinum cleaner
    Pool School
    JasonLion's Pool Calculator
    TF Test Kits

7. Back To Top    #7
    any idea where you can get a pool miser? Lenny Z....are you happy with how it works for you? I assume you install it in a skimmer basket but how does the water movement effect how it works. The water in a toilet tank is pretty stable. Thanks.
    34000 gallons

8. Back To Top    #8
    Quote Originally Posted by rockyboy
    any idea where you can get a pool miser? Lenny Z....are you happy with how it works for you? I assume you install it in a skimmer basket but how does the water movement effect how it works. The water in a toilet tank is pretty stable. Thanks.
    My autofill looks very similar to the pool miser (it might actually be one). It's actually a separate reservoir from the skimmer but looks like a skimmer when the cover is on. Inside the reservoir is a float valve (much like a toilet). My builder tied into a water spigot nearby and put a valve at the spigot to turn the auto leveler on and off. The line from the spigot runs under the deck and into the side of the auto-fill and there is a "return eye" in the wall of the pool where the water goes into the pool.

Look HERE for one like mine.

Hope this gives you an idea.
    11,000 gal. gunite w/midnight blue and white pearl PebbleTec
    Intelliflo 4x160 pump
    Intellichlor IC-20 SWG
    Pentair cartridge filter 420 sq. ft.
    Mastertemp 400K BTU heater
    Legend Platinum cleaner
    Pool School
    JasonLion's Pool Calculator
    TF Test Kits