How much does the water level drop through evaporation?

Jun 30, 2010
I finished filling my Intex 20' x 48" pool Tuesday. Started the pump and added salt on Tuesday. Pool was ready by Wednesday. It is now Thursday, we still have not been in the pool, but the water appears to be at least 1/2 lower. How quickly do you lose water through evaporation? If I have a leak there is no obvious sign of water anywhere.

We haven't gotten into it yet because it is 4 inches off, and we don't know what to do...

It varies a whole lot depending on many factors. Fill a bucket with water and set it near the pool and compare the water loss in the bucket to the water loss in the pool.

krlinger said:
I finished filling my Intex 20' x 48" pool Tuesday. Started the pump and added salt on Tuesday. Pool was ready by Wednesday. It is now Thursday, we still have not been in the pool, but the water appears to be at least 1/2 lower. How quickly do you lose water through evaporation? If I have a leak there is no obvious sign of water anywhere.

We haven't gotten into it yet because it is 4 inches off, and we don't know what to do...

Am I reading you lost 1/2 total of your water in 2 days? or is that 1/2 inch?

In 95-100 degree sunny weather, I am not sure what we lose per day by way of evaporation, but I'd say (quite unscientifically) possibly 2/10ths of an inch per day on the worst sun scorched day.

Anyone have suggestions about the water being 4 inches off level? My husband does not want to drain the pool!! But just based on what I've read, I am scared to death to get into the darn thing.

Will it be OK through about September?? and then we'll take it down.

Full sun, .......all day.....East Texas............95 degrees plus............half inch every couple days. You gotta allow for splashing and having a good time too! 4 inches off--------you don't have very much choice BUT to drain and re-level.

krlinger said:
Anyone have suggestions about the water being 4 inches off level? My husband does not want to drain the pool!! But just based on what I've read, I am scared to death to get into the darn thing.

Will it be OK through about September?? and then we'll take it down.

I hope someone answers this. I just had some friends put up an AGP and it's off also.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.