Out of Town for a Few Days

alanrmeadows

LifeTime Supporter
May 5, 2010
I'm leaving town for a few days and have no one to monitor the pool while I'm gone. What do most of you do in this situation...keep in mind that I have no tablets. Do you typically go and buy a small bucket of tablets and put a few in the chlorinator while you're gone, or do you get your chlorine level very high with bleach (around 25-30) to account for the large chlorine loss that will occur while you're gone. In my particular case, I'm losing about 3-4 ppm chlorine per day (due to very low CYA and skimmer leak), so I'm figuring I would need to get my chlorine level up to about 20. My current shock level is 11. What do you think...buy some tablets or reach a high chlorine level?

Thanks,
Alan
IG
Fiberglass
17,500 Gallons
Sand Filter

I use tablets in the chlorinator. If your CYA is low, they are ideal for you. Just watch that you don't get the HTH tabs from Walmart that have copper in them.

There is a section near the bottom of the pool calc that you cna use to figure out what effects adding chems will have. For instance, you can put the size of the tablet in the first box and then choose the chem (trichlor) and it'll tell you how much FC it'll add and how much CYA it'll add. Be sure to enter the pool size in the top cell.

What if you don't have a chlorinator? We have the floaty thing for pucks, but DH was wondering if it would be better to put pucks right in the skimmer basket. Also, how do you figure out how many pucks to add? (I'm going away in a few weeks too...)

No pucks in the skimmer basket unless the filter is on 24/7. When the pucks sit in still water the acidity and high chlorine concentrations are bad for the skimmer parts and when the pump stars up, it can harm the pump and seals and such.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.