White scale in fiberglass pool

Re: White scale in fibreglass pool

Not CA, I live in Alabama. I have plans to have the light/niche replaced before I add water back to the spa. I emptied it 4 days ago. I do realize I can add water even with the light messed up. I just thought this way would be easier for the person changing the light. Are you saying I need to look for a product call Calcium Hypochlorite? Then I would add that back to the spa once it is full of regular water, not salt cell, (yes, the cause.) I can get the pool guy to disconnect that. Is it okay to run that through the pump/motor once I add the Calcium Hypochlorite? My assuption would be that I would need to drain and refill often in order to get rid of what might come off into the water. Will I need to add elbow grease and rub the sides?Thanks for any help

No I am saying calcium hypochlorite adds calcium hardness and if unmonitored use of it can cause scaling.

- Sent using Tapatalk

I have this same issue. So does a friend who has the exact same pool. I was wondering if it was a manufacturer problem or if it happened in all fiberglass pools. I agree. I am new to this forum. I don't know how to exchange that information. My pool is a Thursdays pool.

I have the same issue with my pool. As far as I'm aware the water chemistry has never spiked and I checked it when the white began to appear and all levels where normal. Are we saying it IS a calcium deposit? I can remove the white with acetone but nothing else appears to work. Has anyone found information on what the cause and solution could be?

Rejuvenating an old thread. Blue LAtham FG shell that has white . Have started the process of acid and United chemical “no drain” acid treat . Have not used the little pump yet . Ph is currently 4-5 for 1day and have experimented with “magic eraser” on the tan ledge some of the with is going away and even a shock stain is kind of fading . Keeping fingers crossed. How long can we keep this ph level? Does anyone know of a handle attachment for 220 grit sanding sponge?95206644-713B-4275-8DE0-7D2652CA0236.jpgB8ABE79A-3308-4FFF-93C4-A170651F9227.jpg91C1B040-47E9-43CF-B1D6-409274059BD8.jpgthis last one is when it was new 4 years ago. Also going to plumb fill water from water softener...can I plumb in anywhere as long as pump isn’t running when fill is on ? Water pressure should push into fitting between pump and filter ,correct. Thanks for replies!!!

Mslc10, so this is day 2 of your no drain acid wash huh? I don't see your pool size info. Not sure if you described it above. Can you confirm again please the gallon size of your pool and how many gallons of muriatic acid you added? Are you not seeing any reasonable progress by just brushing alone - either with the nylon, a 50/50 nylon/steel, or something else besides the 220 grit? I know I experimented with some 220 which seemed to work, but was extremely exhausting. I haven't had the courage to drop that pH yet, so I'm curious if you're seeing the shell change.

Hi Pat! 11000 gal. trilogy Gemini Monaco RS , have added 3-4 gallons muriatic . Do I need more to get into 4-5 ph? not really noticing any change with brush . Rubber gloves and a magic eraser sees some headway on the tan ledge but lots of work. I’m using a dirt ph meter to measure but seems to give different readings depending how far probes are sunk into water. Test strips only go down to 6.5 or so. Still have not added the pump due to uncertain on how the pump is hanging by wire and just running? Or what? Thx!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

11000 gal. trilogy Gemini Monaco RS , have added 3-4 gallons muriatic . Do I need more to get into 4-5 ph?
I think for what you're attempting, that was enough MA. Based on the TFP The Zero Alkalinity Acid Treatment page, 4 gallons of muriatic acid (31.45% strength) per 20,000 gallons of pool water will reduce to zero alkalinity, and to a pH of 4.5 - assuming the TA was about 100 to begin with. The treatment can continue for about 7 days, and you're still early into it, so I will be curious to know if you see any changes via calcium scale removal, or if the issue is more with the gelcoat itself - something I am also currently struggling with as well. Good luck and keep in touch.

Mslc10, you *need* a good pool pH tester *yesterday* if you're adding all that acid without knowing where your pH is sitting now.

Run to the closest pool store and get a pH test. Its cheap, its a liquid drop test that you compare colors. Do not get "Guess Strips" as they're not accurate enough. The Taylor K-1000 kit ought to be available most places.

Please do this today.

...and later on we'll talk about your pool testing habits. But this is important.

Maddie :flower:

Hello, I have been fighting the same problem for two years. I’m curious whether the treatment Mslc 10 helped. I have probable spent over $1000 on different treatment with no results. My pool is less than two years old.
imagejpeg
imagejpeg

I have the same issue. I even called Viking and had them come out and they claim all pools do that. Another Pro said sanding and new gelcoat. Some one else said live with it because it will come back. I can actually see brush marks and spots where they wiped as if it were only half waxed and the waxed parts turned cloudy powdery white. My pool was a Bright Cobalt blue almost and now a light powder blue and almost a sun bleached dry looking texture. My pool is 3 years old and has been like this for a year. It's supposed to be under warranty so if this round of scale remover and ascorbic acid doesn't work I think I might really press the manufacturer legally. Pool looks cheap now and I paid almost 40K for it. Apparently warranty is no good unless you have all records. I'm open to any fixes or remedies also. Mine is salt so I thought about switching to regular Chlorine.

Cnifong & brainintexas, welcome to TFP! :wave: A few of us have been struggling with changes in gelcoat. Sure is frustrating, and certainly not what we were told at sale. :blah: I've finally convinced my local rep to secure a Viking rep visit. I'll be very curious to see what they have to say. I certainly know a lot more about pool care than I did when I first started a few years ago. :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.