LifeTime Supporter
Aug 24, 2009
Central NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I've been looking into whether to add a SWCG to our 11K gal AG pool. We already have the Hayward/Goldline Aqua Solar TC control to use as the pump timer & to control the solar heater diverter.

Hayward's Aqua Trol looks like it comes with its own timer, which seems pointless to add to our existing system unless one timer is set to be permanently on.

I'm not entirely sure if most other SWCG units come with their own timers for pump control. If they do, perhaps our existing solar controller is overkill, but a SWCG was not in mind when the pool & solar system were installed last summer... so, I'm trying to do my homework this time, unlike when the pool was put in. :)

Is there some place that has more info about various SWCG models?

And, does anyone who added a SWCG to a system that already had a timer have any suggestions?

The typical in-ground pool SWG is designed to be wired in parallel with the pump, so it is on when ever the pump is on (based on an external timer or automation system), still some of them include timers. Above ground units are more varied in their approach.

A solar controller is never overkill. If you have a solar controller that turns the pump on and off as required, you want it controlling when the pump runs as it is designed to. The SWG should take second place to that consideration.

I meant "overkill" only in the sense that some of the SWCG units also had timers. :)

When you mentioned in-ground pools, I checked out the Aqua Rite units. I'll also search for more info on the AutoPilot unit I just noticed in your sig.

For an 11K gal pool, I thought a 15K unit would suffice, but now that I know the rating is running full out all day, I think I should probably go for a higher rating so I don't need to run the pump as long.

Currently, I have the solar controller set to override the timer & turn the pump on if the pool needs more heat. As far as I can tell, I should turn that off & use a set run time if I add the SWCG so I'll know how much Cl is being added... on the other hand, if the lower-rated SWCG needs a longer run time, I could just leave the (oversized) pump running constantly during daylight.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.