Pond Liner for a Pool?

Ok, the subject on this thread might not be completely accurate. But... I was kicking around the idea of building my own pool in our next house. But, I would like it to be more natural in look rather that a basic shape, a more tropical look with waterfalls, etc. (I have built ponds for a living in the past so have a lot of experience in that way).

My first question is the liner. With ponds we use EPDM liners but I don't think this would be appropriate for a pool as most EPDM liners are black (not very inviting for a pool color) and I don't know how EPDM would hold up to chlorine levels and other chemicals.

Is it possible to buy vinyl pool liner material by the foot (seaming it if necessary) just as you would a pond liner? If so, are folds (like what would be in a pond liner) ok considering bacterial growth, etc.

I just seems to me that a really cool looking pool could be built based on pond design.

I'd like to get feedback from those that have any knowledge in this.

I cannot answer your other questions, but folds would be REALLY bad. They would harbor debris, as well as algae. You would not be able to properly sanitize your pool. Not to mention that most of us just think wrinkles in the liner lust look bad.
There are many freeform fiberglass and vinyl pool options that could give you a more organic look and a wrinkle-free liner... Then you could add your waterfalls and landscaping...

Welcome to TFP! (my daughter will just DIE when she see we have a Jack Sparrow!!)

Hi, Johnnie,

Nice try at hiding your true identity.....we're smarter than we look! :lol:

While it's very comfortable working with material you already know, I think you'll hit too many negatives with EDPM. A Vinyl liner, while a little more fragile, can give you the look and finish you would like if you choose it carefully and may, in the long run, give you a better pool.

That said, it's an interesting thought and you would certainly be a pioneer who's progress many of us would love to follow.

Free form vinyl liners are done now and then. It is a little difficult to find liner material in rolls as it is normally only sold that way to liner manufacturers and high end custom installers. Making the seams requires a special tool and can be tricky. I have seen the end result but never saw it being done.

So it sounds like going after a free-form liner would be the better way to go. I'm ok with that. Obviously, making the cut in the dirt will need to be very precise to keep folds/wrinkles out. I wonder if the mfg would supply dimensions for cutting/digging. But, I think we're getting somewhere with this idea. I just need to find a manufacturer of freeform liners-- anyone have any recommendations.

Any other suggestions, thoughts, recommendations?? I'm all ears!

Thanks,
Joe

Jack Sparrow said:
So it sounds like going after a free-form liner would be the better way to go. I'm ok with that. Obviously, making the cut in the dirt will need to be very precise to keep folds/wrinkles out. I wonder if the mfg would supply dimensions for cutting/digging. But, I think we're getting somewhere with this idea. I just need to find a manufacturer of freeform liners-- anyone have any recommendations.

Any other suggestions, thoughts, recommendations?? I'm all ears!

Thanks,
Joe

The liner in a pool doesn't rest on the dirt. The hole is dug roughly 2" oversized and then either concrete or a concrete vermiculite mix is troweled to build it up to the needed shape. This probably makes it more flexible for natural shapes, but nothing is as flexible as a gunite pool.

Hello Captain Jack.

I borrowed a couple of pictures from the "Show Off Your Pool" forum to show you some free form vinyl pools.

Attachments

• Pool.jpg
    Pool.jpg
    163.4 KB · Views: 166
  • Pool2.jpg
    Pool2.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 168
Free form vinyl liners are done now and then. It is a little difficult to find liner material in rolls as it is normally only sold that way to liner manufacturers and high end custom installers. Making the seams requires a special tool and can be tricky. I have seen the end result but never saw it being done.
You ever think of contacting a manufacturer it will save you a lot of problems and they make pond liners in extremely large sizes even for hazardous waste.

Ok, the subject on this thread might not be completely accurate. But... I was kicking around the idea of building my own pool in our next house. But, I would like it to be more natural in look rather that a basic shape, a more tropical look with waterfalls, etc. (I have built ponds for a living in the past so have a lot of experience in that way).

My first question is the liner. With ponds we use EPDM liners but I don't think this would be appropriate for a pool as most EPDM liners are black (not very inviting for a pool color) and I don't know how EPDM would hold up to chlorine levels and other chemicals.

Is it possible to buy vinyl pool liner material by the foot (seaming it if necessary) just as you would a pond liner? If so, are folds (like what would be in a pond liner) ok considering bacterial growth, etc.

I just seems to me that a really cool looking pool could be built based on pond design.

I'd like to get feedback from those that have any knowledge in this.
As far as pond liners holding up to chemicals they make many pond liners. Go directly to the manufacturer to get what you need even extra large sizes for your projects.
They make pond liners for hazardous waste and that definitely is worse than the chemicals in a normal ponds. Pond liners are made of various materials. Some last a lot longer than others. You can buy them in various thickness which I love. So I would ask the manufacturer if they ate safe for people and fish to swim in. I would bet that they are, but it always is important to check. Go directly to the source.
I was actually thinking of a large area on my property to make a artificial looking Beach or lake.
This same company sells covers for them too. It will keep your pool cleaner longer with a cover. : )
I would make the bottom of the pool as sloped as needed, but for safety reasons and for the cleaning of the pool.
Honestly I believe a pond liner can be used as a pool, but make sure you put underlayment down to protect your pond liner from causing weak spots.
I have been thinking of using a pond liner as a roof for a mobile home, since a company called Goodyear Thermal Topp used to use a similar product for the same, but it was white.
The longevity of a pond liner is 30 years or longer. That is average.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.