Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pond Liner for a Pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

Pond Liner for a Pool?

Ok, the subject on this thread might not be completely accurate. But... I was kicking around the idea of building my own pool in our next house. But, I would like it to be more natural in look rather that a basic shape, a more tropical look with waterfalls, etc. (I have built ponds for a living in the past so have a lot of experience in that way).

My first question is the liner. With ponds we use EPDM liners but I don't think this would be appropriate for a pool as most EPDM liners are black (not very inviting for a pool color) and I don't know how EPDM would hold up to chlorine levels and other chemicals.

Is it possible to buy vinyl pool liner material by the foot (seaming it if necessary) just as you would a pond liner? If so, are folds (like what would be in a pond liner) ok considering bacterial growth, etc.

I just seems to me that a really cool looking pool could be built based on pond design.

I'd like to get feedback from those that have any knowledge in this.
    8000 gallon, AG, Sand filter 22", 2spd pump (2hp)
    SolarPRO XD1 Solar Heater, Hayward aqua bug vac.

2. Back To Top    #2
    I cannot answer your other questions, but folds would be REALLY bad. They would harbor debris, as well as algae. You would not be able to properly sanitize your pool. Not to mention that most of us just think wrinkles in the liner lust look bad.
    There are many freeform fiberglass and vinyl pool options that could give you a more organic look and a wrinkle-free liner... Then you could add your waterfalls and landscaping...

Welcome to TFP! (my daughter will just DIE when she see we have a Jack Sparrow!!)

8000 gallon 20' x 48" round vinyl frame pool, 12" sand filter (don't have the specs on the pump), TF100 test kit
    Handy Links: PoolMath, TF-100 Test Kit, Pool School, CYA-Chlorine Chart
    "Shock" is a process, not a product!

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry
    Hi, Johnnie,

Nice try at hiding your true identity.....we're smarter than we look!

While it's very comfortable working with material you already know, I think you'll hit too many negatives with EDPM. A Vinyl liner, while a little more fragile, can give you the look and finish you would like if you choose it carefully and may, in the long run, give you a better pool.

That said, it's an interesting thought and you would certainly be a pioneer who's progress many of us would love to follow.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4
    Free form vinyl liners are done now and then. It is a little difficult to find liner material in rolls as it is normally only sold that way to liner manufacturers and high end custom installers. Making the seams requires a special tool and can be tricky. I have seen the end result but never saw it being done.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

So it sounds like going after a free-form liner would be the better way to go. I'm ok with that. Obviously, making the cut in the dirt will need to be very precise to keep folds/wrinkles out. I wonder if the mfg would supply dimensions for cutting/digging. But, I think we're getting somewhere with this idea. I just need to find a manufacturer of freeform liners-- anyone have any recommendations.

Any other suggestions, thoughts, recommendations?? I'm all ears!

Thanks,
    Joe
    8000 gallon, AG, Sand filter 22", 2spd pump (2hp)
    SolarPRO XD1 Solar Heater, Hayward aqua bug vac.

6. Back To Top    #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Sparrow
    So it sounds like going after a free-form liner would be the better way to go. I'm ok with that. Obviously, making the cut in the dirt will need to be very precise to keep folds/wrinkles out. I wonder if the mfg would supply dimensions for cutting/digging. But, I think we're getting somewhere with this idea. I just need to find a manufacturer of freeform liners-- anyone have any recommendations.

Any other suggestions, thoughts, recommendations?? I'm all ears!

Thanks,
    Joe
    The liner in a pool doesn't rest on the dirt. The hole is dug roughly 2" oversized and then either concrete or a concrete vermiculite mix is troweled to build it up to the needed shape. This probably makes it more flexible for natural shapes, but nothing is as flexible as a gunite pool.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

7. Back To Top    #7
    Hello Captain Jack.

I borrowed a couple of pictures from the "Show Off Your Pool" forum to show you some free form vinyl pools.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    11,000 gal. gunite w/midnight blue and white pearl PebbleTec
    Intelliflo 4x160 pump
    Intellichlor IC-20 SWG
    Pentair cartridge filter 420 sq. ft.
    Mastertemp 400K BTU heater
    Legend Platinum cleaner
    Pool School
    JasonLion's Pool Calculator
    TF Test Kits