adding liquid chlorine creates white milky cloud- abnormal?

goodkodiak

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 18, 2010
When I add liquid chlorine to my pool there is a milky white cloud that appears and then dissipates within 15mins. Is this normal or should it still be as clear as it was before adding liquid chlorine.

Appears all over the pool, or just where you are pouring it in? How much time are you taking to add a half gallon or a gallon at a time? What kind of pool or other chemical numbers?

I have a 25000 gallon pool and its inground plaster. I add the liquid chlorine all at once right over the pool return nozzles. normally two jugs of 6% 182oz at a time. A white milky cloud forms and follows the route of the pool return water. It dissipates around 15 minutes and is clear again. If I add around 6 jugs the cloud will run along the route of the pool return and also along the bottom of the pool. I have the skimmers and the drain sucking right now. You can see my previous posts of all my levels at :

strange-results-while-i-shock-a-crystal-sparkling-green-pool-t23445.html

Thanks lion, I will check the tests you said again tomorrow morning and post those results.

Just a hunch, here...

Bleach is very alkaline. There's probably a lot of calcium or something dissolved in the water. You create localized high pH and whatever it is precipitates out. Then as the cloud disperses, the pH equalizes, and it dissolves into solution again.

Hello everyone. I got a chance to test my levels and they are as follows :
FC : 21ppm
CC : 0.5ppm
PH : 7.4
TA : 190
CH : 580...can this be correct?
CYA : 60

Well water CH : 130 - that I've been topping off with after backwashing a few dozen times.

Note : Pool is clear blue. no cloudiness.

When we bought the house the pool was more than 3/4 full of water. In the past six months I don't think I have added anything that would add to the CH, just bleach, polyquat, and some ph minus. Also should I get rid of the floater with the stabilized pucks in them ?

Thanks! Now let's get to the bottom of this milky white cloud.

It's the CH. Two yrs ago before BBB I had CH >1000 in my 8000 gal. pool and when I would add 10.5% chlorine my entire pool would turn milky for 24 hrs. The pool store told me it was normal, yeah, right!

Ok, so it's the CH. Does the CH or any of the other levels hurt the effectiveness of chlorine. ie. when I see the milky white cloud is something happening to the chlorine, like diluting it or killing off some of it making a CC number register?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok, I may need some help or assistance from anyone who has done this before. I have a submersible pump if I need to drain the pool. If I need to lower the TA first then how should I go about this. Sorry, but I may need some steps to do this right.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.