Liquidator with no 3/8" upgrade

I've not yet installed the LQ, still waiting for the pool remodel to be done... but I wonder, what if I just install with the fittings and tubing that came with it? I've got the 8gal LQ. My pool is only 10k gal and the equipment bay is only about 10 feet from the pool. What can I expect if I don't upgrade to 3/8" with the initial install?

I ran mine for a couple of weeks before I got a plug and did the upgrade. Like Bama said, it can be done at any time, and it is really easy. Try it out of the box and see if it works for you! If not, the solution exists :goodjob:

The standard Liquidator works very well for some people, and not at all for others. It all depends on the pressure difference across the pump. Large single speed pumps are usually fine with a stock unit. While two speed, or variable speed, pumps often require the 3/8" upgrade.

JasonLion said:
The standard Liquidator works very well for some people, and not at all for others. It all depends on the pressure difference across the pump. Large single speed pumps are usually fine with a stock unit. While two speed, or variable speed, pumps often require the 3/8" upgrade.

With a variable speed/flow pump that runs most of the time on low what happens when you up the pump for features or vacuuming? Do you have to turn down the meter? That would be a real hassle if you had to do it several times a day.

gg=alice

The chlorine feed rate varies with the pressure difference, so yes a variable speed pump would feed more chlorine when the speed was turned up. Most people have fairly stable usage patterns, and can adjust the Liquidator once to take those usage patterns into account. If high speed usage is highly variable, that won't work.

JasonLion said:
The chlorine feed rate varies with the pressure difference, so yes a variable speed pump would feed more chlorine when the speed was turned up. Most people have fairly stable usage patterns, and can adjust the Liquidator once to take those usage patterns into account. If high speed usage is highly variable, that won't work.

Thanks Jason. So maybe the solution would be to, for instance, run the vac cleaner, on higher speed, every day for the same amount of time. And adjust accordingly. On days when vac cleaner is not run (rare here) adjust FC with some jug dumping. I just got my Aquabot back and used it yesterday and the day before and didn't use the vac cleaner. Filter needs backwashing and I haven't had time to do it (open filter to give cartridges a good hose off) so don't want to run on high speed and/or put any more stuff in the filter. With a starting clean filter pressure at 3 psi, the VF "hates" when the psi is 10. It nags and nags and nags. :rant: I had forgotten how well the Aquabot clears out the remaining tiny particles that can only be seen at night, in front of light; that is using the fine bags. The only other water feature will be a fountain attached to a return. It is adjustable and can be turned off or adjusted at the wall fitting. That and the price were the two things that caught my eye. That return and return in deep end are 3/4" eyeballs, and the other return, of four, is fully restricted. I keep my low speed VF set so that there is just enough flow to the Pool Skim that it works constantly. I haven't received the fountain yet, but it is shipping now ($12.95 Splash from Amazon). When not in use the wall fitting can be opened all the way to use as return. When fountain is used it can be adjusted so all or part of the flow goes to the fountain. I'm figuring that there is enough flow at that return to not have to speed up the pump. I have various other eyeballs, opening sizes and shapes, to make incremental adjustment on any of them.

I might order a Liquidator for my friend first and "get my feet wet" installing hers. I was going to get her a TFT test kit for her birthday, but I do have an extra FAS DPD kit I can give her instead and put the money into a Liquidator for her. She needs it more than I do.

gg=alice

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.