Question about Intex SWG system

May 21, 2010
Im thinking of buying one of these and i read in the pool school that you need to run pump for atleast 8hrs. Is that the pump or the Swg generator. Most people said that they only need to run generator a couple hours a day to keep chlorine right.

It all depends on the relative size of your pool and your pump. A large pump for a small pool might only run two or three hours. A small pump for a large pool may need to be run 24 hours a day. It is the same thing with a SWG, the larger your pool, the longer you need to run the SWG.

I was just wandering if in the pool school under swg setups where it says to run pump for minimum of 8hrs did that mean my filter and not the salt water generator. Reason for asking this is if I ran the sWg for 8hrs I would think it would produce to much chlorine. A little confused with this part.

You will need to experiment a bit with the Intex SWG to see how well it will work at what timing amounts. The requirements will also vary with weather conditions, rain, heat, etc., and pool use.

It states "Run your pump a minimum of 8 hours a day and adjust your cell output so your FC stays between 3-5 ppm."

This is really oriented toward the higher end SWGs...but your pump will/should run independent of the SWG. You basically set the intex swg to run for a certain # of hrs during your pump run time.

For intex SWGs it only runs at 100% for the # of hours you set it and it turns on at the same time every day, unless there is a power outage. I personally just follow the non-swg FC guidelines for water chemistry, except for CYA which I keep at 60-70. My pump runs for 6hrs per day and my intex swg runs for 3 hrs. Unfortunately with the intex, you don't get chlorination over a long period of time...it comes in 3-4 hour bursts

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.