Wanda has Gone off the Deep End!

Aug 28, 2009
I just set up the pool, and LOVE my wanda the whale, it's a great little cleaner, and my wife accused me of having an affair. ;->

The issue I'm having is that I have a deep end in the AGP, and due to the steepish angle, she's sort of just "hanging out" there, more so than other areas of the pool, so the pool isn't getting as clean.

Is there a method most folks use for this? I've tried starting her up on the other end, but she finds herself there soon enough. I've considered putting some sort of physical block on the bottom of the pool, or bungy cording the hose.

Thoughts?

6', but the drop off is fairly significant since it's a 15x30, and goes from 52" to 72" fairly quickly due to the straps (buttress free.) I tried starting in the middle of the pool and adjusting the output jet, and it did seem to help.

I'm having the same problem with a IGP in addition she keeps getting stuck on the drain. I was told there is a "adjustment" knob on the bottom of the cleaner but I have yet to find it.

I wonder if she's losing the "push" factor when over the drain as the water flows differently?

In your case, an easy solution would be to just use your vacuum pole to drop something heavy "over" the drain (assuming you can shut it off independently). I'm thinking of something like a 5gallon bucket with a bunch of holes drilled in it, but enough weight (rocks, etc.) to hold it in place so she'd divert around it.

Interestingly, better suction from the pump today, and she did way better.

APrime said:
Have you tried the "throat in VS throat out" I havent yet as I've only had her a week.

I'll have to google that. I did notice a HUGE improvement in performance when I finally got my sand filter all cleaned up. I don't think I was generating enough suction. She's really scooting all over the place, probably 3x as fast now. I have a 1.5HP pump, so not sure if that makes a difference, but I think it was largely a suction issue.

I tried the "throat out" and her movement was very slow, lethargic @ best, she still wont climb out of the deep end so I bought some lenghts of 2" round PVC and a couple of "T"s for the ends drilled a bunch of holes in it and partially filled it with gravel (not very much) now I have a rail across the bottom of the pool to keep her in the shallow end until its clean then I made some small rectangles to go around the drain so she dosent get stuck while cleaning the deep end. She's a geat little cleaner for the price.

APrime said:
I tried the "throat out" and her movement was very slow, lethargic @ best, she still wont climb out of the deep end so I bought some lenghts of 2" round PVC and a couple of "T"s for the ends drilled a bunch of holes in it and partially filled it with gravel (not very much) now I have a rail across the bottom of the pool to keep her in the shallow end until its clean then I made some small rectangles to go around the drain so she dosent get stuck while cleaning the deep end. She's a geat little cleaner for the price.

Cool, that's a good idea.

Can you also just bungee the hose at a certain point to keep her in the area that way?

APrime said:

Just an update. Just did this with a quick temporary setup, and it's working great! I'll build a little gate for her out of some left over pvc. I found if you size it, no need for the heavy stuff, you can just drop it in and wedge it slightly.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.