My first test - looking for advice

Jun 29, 2010
Frankfort, IL
Took my first tests today using the TF100 test kit. Ran them twice to be sure they were consistent.

FC = 9.5
CC = 0
TC = 9.5
pH = 7.4
TA = 120
CYA = 0
86 Degrees

I had a Frog mineral system running, but as of this morning have stopped using it, based on some of the horror stories and suggestions I have read here. The canister is still present but the mineral and chlorine cartridges have been removed. It's one cost I will not miss.

If I understand correctly, looking at my numbers, the TA is on the high side and should be lowered; CYA is nonexistent and should be raised to the 30 - 50 range. FC is high but should burn off over time and from the sun beating down on it most of the day (about 12 hours of sun overhead).

My questions are as follows:

1) Which should I focus on first?
2) Can I address both at the same time, or should I focus on one at a time?
3) Should I be focusing on something completely different?
4) Most importantly to my 5 year old daughter, can she still swim while making these adjustments?

I will try to answer any questions, but still consider myself a pool noob, even though I have had a pool for 6 years now, so please forgive me if I ask for clarification.

Thanks for your assistance.

Welcome to TFP :wave: Other than getting the CYA in, your numbers look fine. TA of 120 is not bad at all and will come down over time as you adjust PH lower. High TA tends to make PH rise over time, but not an immediate concern. Your Daughter will be fine about 24 hrs after the CYA is added or the FC is down to around 3ppm with no CYA.

Get the CYA up to 30-40 and keep your FC around 4-5ppm and you should be all set :goodjob:

Thanks a bunch. I was worried my TA was going to need to be adjusted. Over the last two weeks I raised my TA, it probably was in range, but I was using the Aqua Check strips and then the Aqua Check meter, with both telling me my TA was near 20.

Consider it a lesson learned I guess.

Although your TA number does sound like it could be accurate, I wouldn't entirely discount the reading you were getting from the Aqua Check test strips just yet. I too just converted to the TF100 test kit and am finding that my TA results are off the chart (too high to be accurate). I've compared them against an HTH 6-way test kit I purchased previously at WalMart and got very different readings. I'm told by the experts on this forum that the drops added during the TA test can actually produce a static charge when they're new, that causes them to "leap" from the bottle and so you don't get very accurate drops each time. Wiping the tip of the bottle with a damp cloth between drops seems to help a bit - but only time will help as the static charge disappates.

So I'm not saying your TA reading with the TF100 is incorrect - just wanted to point out the possibility of a false reading with a new kit.

Good luck and welcome to TFP!!

Interesting. I know for usre I did not wipe the tip after each drop. I know read the directions blah blah blah :lol:

I will try again later and see if I get a different reading, making sure to watch the drops and wipe the tip with a damp cloth after each.

Thanks!

Good call on the TA test. I checked it again tonight and wiped the tip after each drop, both tests came up with a TA of 80.

My numbers currently sit at.

FC = 6
CYA = 38
TA = 80

Going to let them sit right there for a couple of days until I get the hang of the BBB method, then move on to bigger and better things.

I have been reading more and more and am interested in adding Borates I think once I am comfortable, more for the feel of the water then the algae inhibitor. I have also read that you get a similar feeling with adding salt. Is there a noticable difference that would make one choose salt over borates?

I am not ready to do this just yet, but looking for input.

Thanks.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.