Cal Hypo in Diamond Brite surfaces

Silver

Jun 30, 2010
I have had my Diamond Brite surface in my pool now for about 4 years. I occasionally use cal hypo to chlorinate my pool and I also use liquid chlorine as well, I just switch back and forth with them.

Now, Ive been hearing from a bunch of pool guys and neighbors that it is not a good idea to use cal hypo on my diamond brite sruface. Like I said I've been using it on and off and I have had no problems with my surface. Is this true? Is it a bad idea to use cal hypo on a diamond brite surface?

There is a risk, but it is indirect. People who use a lot of cal-hypo will raise their CH levels significantly, and if they keep using cal-hypo will eventually have calcium scaling. Scaling on a white plaster pool is not too terrible, since it is often difficult to see. But scaling on diamond-brite is very obvious and doesn't look at all good. As long as you monitor your CH level and don't let it get too high you will be fine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.