Liner punctures and stains

Ladeda

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 5, 2010
Munford Tn
I am new to posting in this forum and only do so because I have spent way too much time trying to find an answer to my problem, sorry. If I could find it, I wouldn't be asking. On the other hand, I love this site!! thanks!

Problem-I have been having a fit with my 25,000 gal. inground vinyl liner pool!! I am about ready to fill it with dirt. I keep getting this stain on the entire pool surface, liner, walkout etc. I just recently found 3 small holes in my liner, about the size of a metal dart tip. Could this be what has been causing my stain problems? Also My CYA is high 80, and I am having a hard time bringing up the PH level 7.2. I have removed water 4 times to bring down my CYA.

As for the staining I have used vitamins C, and commercial stain remover at different times. These products worked but the stain comes back. I was told that I am defeating my purpose in using any stain removal product if my chlorine is not at 0 when using them. Can't bring down chlorine with temps close to 100 everyday (west TN.) I was also told that the stains will always come back if I had recently shocked the pool prior to use of stain removers or within 4 days after use.
I purchased a patch kit at wally world that took care of the punctures in the liner. Now I would like to resolve the stain problem; What could be the cause, and how to correct it.

pH 7.2
Free Chlorine (FC) 4 ppm
Combine Chlorine (CC) 1 ppm
Total Chlorine (TC) 5 ppm
Total Alkalinity (TA) 100
Calcium Hardness (CH) 120
Cyanuric Acid 80
temp 85
Chlorination - pucks in chlorinator (feeder)

Attachments

• Stain.JPG
    Stain.JPG
    35.2 KB · Views: 91
First off stop using the pucks your cya is already too high this will also help get your ph back to normal. Switch to bleach. As for the stains you have iron in the water and those chemicals that remove the stain will break down and the stains will come back. To get the metal out you'll have to change the water. I've seen a product called metal trap that goes on the end of a garden hose that is supposed to remove the metal from the water supply. I have not used this product personally but it sounds like it might be good for you. Does anyone have info on the metal trap product?

I am not sure if this will help or not, but I have had issues with Metals in water, take a sample to a pool store, get it tested for Metals. They can then give you a good idea of what your problem is. I am thinking Metal Out, which I think binds the metals and then the filter can trap them. I know it worked for me, and if you have a very high concentration of Iron in your pool, I know it will turn green when the Chlorine reacts with it. Had this happen to me, figured I would up the chlorine and it got darker, used a product called Chlorine Out and bam, right back to crystal clear water. While BBB is a great idea, I do find reputable pool stores can an do help when we have those problems outside of algae.

I had planned to stop using pucks once my supply was exhausted but I see what you mean about the CYA and will stop usage today. I had my water tested for metals at two pool supply places and there were no metals according to their test, but I will test again and go that direction? After I found the punctures in the liner I thought maybe the contact of the water with the concrete below the liner caused the stain? The punctures were very small. Thanks for your response!

Metal magnet has a chlorine resistant formula (according to bottle). They will just work better with a lower fc level. Just keep in mind unless I am mistaken the chemicals sold for metal issues don't remove the metal from the water they basically hold it in suspension until the chemical starts to break down and the stain will come back

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.