Seems to be no suction in floor drain but skimmer ok

slm

Jun 29, 2010
We have a plaster pool with a floor drain (old style cover) in the deep end, a skimmer in the shallow and a port to attach the floor vac in the side/center. There are 2 return pipes that lead to a jandy valve which leads to the strainer/pump. At the 12 o'clock position the skimmer works, at 6 o'clock the vacuum and at 9 o'clock (give or take) a combo of the two. I have assumed that the floor drain and skimmer share the same return line.

I cannot figure out how to adjust the floor drain to get better suction from that drain. The only other visible valves are on the return side. One is the slide valve for backwashing. One leads to a small pipe which feeds the side spray which cools the water. The other is an orange valve on the main return (I am not sure what that is for so any insight is appreciated).

When I use the brush to slowly sweep debris over the floor drain, it doesn't suck down into the drain as I would expect. Even when I go super slowly and stop short of the drain to allow the momentum of the debris and the suction power of the drain to work, it still seems that the dirt just kicks up and resettles anywhere but into the drain. We do not have one of those safety covers on that drain so I would expect it to be pretty powerful. Any thoughts on what could be happening?

Is there one of these in the bottom of the skimmer, covering the two holes?

lovingHDTV-SkimmerDiverter.jpg

Also, you mentioned above that the debris seems to settle everywhere but on the drain. Does it appear that water is flowing out of the drain, rather than in?

No, there is no cover like that over the 2 pipes in the skimmer. Just the basket sits on top of the holes.

I don't believe water is coming into the pool through the drain as stuff will sit on the grid....just not get sucked in. The debris only moves if I brush the it up. Plus I have never felt water pressure when pushing the brush over that area as I feel when running the brush over the return jets.

I'm thinking maybe it's a misunderstanding of how your valves work. The labels were missing from a couple of mine and they were peeling off the others. Being a first time pool owner at the time (only been 3 months ago, don't want to sound like an old timer) I took the valve apart to see exactly what was happening when I turned the handle in whatever direction.

Can you post a picture of your valve setup?

Jim.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.