Gunite Showing Through Plaster

bluenoise

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 25, 2007
Alamo, CA
There are a couple of spots in my pool where the Polaris has worn the plaster through to the dark-gray gunite underneath. I'll take a picture and post it when I get a chance. The worst spot is about 8-10" in diameter in the shallow end at the base of a wall. I asked at Leslie's about this and they told me this product would work to fix it:

A+B Epoxy Putty

A PB told me it wouldn't work and that I should get it fixed ASAP as the gunite is not watertight. He says the rebar in the gunite is probably getting exposed to the water, which is now salt, and is likely corroding inside the wall.

We were thinking of resurfacing the pool this fall, but finances may dictate that we wait until next year. What do you think?

Can you confirm it's not a stain? Pretty unusual for the polaris to be capable of that but, if the plaster was applied improperly (too thin) that would certainly do it.

The gunite is more porous than the plaster but the water not gonna" gush out. I do agree that it will need some attention and I do agree with the PB that epoxy would be a nasty-looking and probably ineffective fix.

Assuming it's not a stain, I would talk with a knowledgeable pool plasterer and follow his suggestions. A masonry "patch" may be very effective and would be the least noticeable....still not invisible, tho.

I snapped a couple of pictures this morning with my phone. It's definitely the gunite showing through.

It seems that no matter how I adjust my Polaris, it gets hung up on the edges of the steps. The leading edge of the cleaner's base "snags" on the plaster and it just undulates back and forth until the auto-reverse kicks in and pulls it free. If I was a designer at Polaris, I'd put a roller along that leading edge to prevent such a problem.

The color variations in the plaster are not algae...It's just really old. There are smooth patches that are a somewhat greenish tint and the rest is just really rough. The Polaris's bag is always filled with white sparkling sand from the disintegrating plaster. I am overdue for a replastering, but that's several thousand dollars I don't have lying around right now. :(

Attachments

• PIC-0009.jpg
    PIC-0009.jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 349
  • PIC-0010.jpg
    PIC-0010.jpg
    178.6 KB · Views: 363
Interesting post. My Polaris gets hung up on the steps as well. New plaster to boot (45 days new). Anyone else experience a wear issue or could it be cause of older plaster?

BTW, I tgink a roller on the front of the Polaris 360 would be an excellent idea.

I will try to attach two pix of our pool before we got it cleaned up and BEFORE our replaster. Needless to say, we did not know this 'thing' was there......exposed gunite. At the deep end, under the light (poor pix, sorry) you can see a black line. It was appx 6 to 8 FEET long and 6 inches at the highest point. FYI, we did NOT detect any leak or water loss, but the PO did leave a POLARIS tossed up uder the deck.??? :evil: We have not found it necessary to use the Poalris because, I am almost afraid to say, we have not needed it. It is now stored in the basement. There was no problem w/the step area, but they did have a line of tile on them, now replastered over. Now, that said, we have no idea if the Polaris had anything to do w/this or the PO dumped his chems there and did not brush, etc., or a combo of both? Who knows. Mainly wanted to let you see that our huge exposed gunite area did not seem to bother anything last season and it made it thru the winter just fine. Hope this helps. Happy swimming, Joyce :)

DSC_0026.jpg

DSC_0025.jpg

The Mermaid Queen said:
Man, if those photos are from before you cleaned it up, what does it look like now??? it is lovely!

Sorry about that :oops: , this was AFTER it was cleaned up & balanced w/BBB :-D :-D :-D , but BEFORE the replaster! The before clean-up pix are on the "Show off your Pool/Spa..." section, but you can't see the exposed gunite in them. Thanks for the correction, Grace.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.