Just switched to SWG. PH is high and won't come down

Tony G

Jun 21, 2009
Just bought a aqua trol for my 32x16 aboveground. It works great and I'm still tuning it in. Ive been checking my water every day and adding Muratic acid to lower ph using the pool calculator to calculate the amount. My pool water is very hot. 90 degrees (south Louisiana) anyone have an idea why my ph is staying so high even though i am adding the acid? Thanks in advance.

FC - 6.0 running SWG less time til i get it right
CC - .5
TC - 6.5
PH - 8.2
TA - 150
CYA - 70
Salt is at 3400
Temp is 90. We need some rain to cool it down.

Welcome, I see it's your first post. Being that you are new to posting here, I have to ask, "What did you use to test with?".

Are you using bi-sulfate or Muriatic acid?

How old is the acid?

How much and how frequently have you been adding?

Scott

Your TA is very high for a SWCG. Its' probably a bit high even for a non-SWCG pool, too. In a nut shell, without going into the nitty gritty, SWCG puts upward pressure on the pH. So..the recommended mitigation for this is to run a lower TA. The recommened level for a SWCG pool is between 70-80 ppm.
Lowering the TA is a process, not a one time event. The idea here is to lower the pH with muriatic acid to around 7.2. The acid addition will lower the TA as well. You wolud then need to aerate the water to increase the pH without adding any chemical to bring the pH back up. Once the pH is back up to 7.5-7.6, add acid again and repeat the process until the TA is where you need it. I've never had to do it so i do not have good advice on what to rig up to aerate the pool. Someone will be along soon, i'm sure, to give you advice on that.

Since you are new, read through pool school, it will help a lot!
pool-school/

I am using the TF-100 to test. I am using muriatic acid. Is there a way to lower the TA besides acid? I have added more acid and will run another test on the water tonight to see if the TA and/or Ph is coming down. Thanks again all!

My fill water is over the top with a TA of over 350....

I've almost made this a weekly routine. Factor in I have a SWG and when we have a dry spell I have to add TA >350 fill water for evaporation compensations, my TA goes up quickly.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.