HELP - no pressure after vacuum!

May 1, 2010
HELP - I have a pool party planned in 3 hours and after disconnecting the vacuum hose from the skimmer opening I suddenly lost prime - all pressure out of returns ground to a halt! Pressure gauge reads zero. I checked the pump basket and the rubber gasket that seals it is all stretched out! I can't fit it around and close the top properly. I put a hose to the input hole at the pump and there doesn't seem to be a blockage, why is that rubber gasket all stretched???
ALWAYS this stuff has to happen now - I have had a great TFP thanks to you guys until just now!
THANKS!!!

Sounds like you need a new o-ring, no idea why it would have happened from the circumstances you described, may just be co-incidence, perhaps you somehow introduced a bit of air when disconnecting and it was enough to lose prime leading you to discover the faulty o-ring? No idea.

I'm assuming you don't have a pool store nearby to get a new o-ring? In a pinch try to get the o-ring back on as best you can, slather it up with silicone lube. If you don't have any, in a pinch you can use vasoline, but clean it off as soon as you can as it's a petroleum based product and long term it will be bad for your parts.

Since the O-ring is shot anyway, why not cut it to fit?

Make the cut, feed it into the groove of the pump basket strainer, and then cut off the excess (it'll be very little) so the two ends meet.

Next take some vaseline and seal what little gap remains between the two ends. It's not permanent but it may very well work for now until you can get a new O-ring.

OMG you guys are awesome - you not only rescue pools but also parties! Cutting the O ring did the trick (I had a tube of lube luckily) - pool is sparkley, water is circulating, party goes on!
Thanks!
Amy

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.