TF-100 calcium test question

May 25, 2010
I've only had the kit for a week or two and I feel pretty comfortable with all the tests except the calcium test. When I add drops (attempting to make solution turn blue) I notice the liquid part turns blue, but I have pink flakes. Do I continue adding drops until everything is undoubtedly blue?

#'s (I'm shocking)
11 FC
.5 CC
PH 7.5
TA 130
Cal 480-540??
CYA 15

I'd really like to get the calcium number down, I did a 40% refill on the pool and it didn't seemed to help much. I tested some water out of the tap and it was 220 (no flakes). The person before me used cal-hypo like it was going out of style, so I assume that is where most of it came from. Is this something to be concerned about, if so, how do I manage it?

Calcium is not an issue for a vinyl lined pool.

If the liquid in the sample is blue, then you have reached the endpoint of the test. It is normal to see little globules in there that are pink or violet. All you are looking for is for the sample to be blue.

Normally your vinyl pool could care less about calcium. In your case the calcium is high enough to cause scaling if your Ph and Ta get out of hand. I would change out 40 percent more water, its the easiest and safest option. Your cya is low so at least you won't lose too much.
Cal-hypo is something no vinyl pool owner should buy.

Vinyl liner pools are fine with low CH levels, but all pools are at risk for high CH levels. You need to either bring down your CH level, or bring down your TA to compensate for the high CH level, fairly soon.

How much water does it take to keep the vinyl liner down, what is the minimum safe amount of water? 6"?

If I do a 50% refill twice, I'll get 75% of it replaced (diminishing returns)... I need to replace 85% according to the pool calculator. So if I replace 60% twice then I'll get 84% replaced... I'd really like to minimize the refill without endangering the liner. I'm probably over thinking this... Thanks for the help so far!!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.