PUMP RUN TIME QUESTION????

Tbell

Jun 20, 2010
Tennessee
Yes guys, I have another question....LOL! My pump is a 1.5 HP 70 GPM Hayward. How long do you think I need to run it per day! I am thinking about trying to add bleach in the evening...let it circulate a couple of hours and then shut it down until morning. Any suggestions? My water is balanced but remember I am maintaining a CYA of 80. Don't know if that makes a difference or not.

I run mine as long as it has sun on it during the day, which is a full 10 hours full exposure. Some folks say an hour for every 10 degrees water temp. Only thing I know for sure is that you can't run it "too much" for pool purposes when it's this hot. Just bumped mine up to 12 hours in Texas.

You want to get at least a one turn over per day. Let say your plumbing allows for 50gals/min, that would put you somewhere in the 6-8hr pump run time range. You can start at 8 and then experiment with lower run time, but there is no one right answer. Depends on the pool, amount of sum, FC levels...etc.

If you are concerned on electricity costs, an alternate would be to get a more efficient pump, filter combo. That is too much pump for a 18" sand filter. 3/4 hp would do just fine and you want a 250-300lb sand filter for that size pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.