Build SPA with new pool or NOT?

Sabot

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 2, 2007
Austin, TX
I am in the design phase and wondering if there are any benefits to including a SPA in my new pool vs. a standalone spa? The only reason I am currently looking at installing a SPA is for the looks.

I am interested in learning beside saving on the up front costs of not including a SPA with my pool, if I would save long term costs on heating & chemicals? Any thoughts are welcome. :)

Thanks in advance!

Mike

Having a spa that is on the same plumbing as the pool offers noticable operating cost and time savings compared to having a separate spa. The build price is generally lower as well since some of the equipment can be shared. If you are in an area where you need to winterize your pool, having a spa on the same plumbing makes winterizing the pool a little more difficult and makes it either very difficult or impossible to run the spa when the pool is winterized.

I'm in Virginia, and one of the pool builders we consulted for an estimate talked us out of a built-in spa for the reasons that JasonLion stated...once the pool is winterized, the spa is out of commission. Said we'd be better off getting a separate unit. DH really wanted one, and I must say that I like the looks of the built-in spa as well...although I tend to pass out in them so I'm not pushing the matter too much :wink:

On another subject, JasonLion, I grew up in Silver Spring...first in the Kemp Mill area then moved "west" to Colesville and Olney areas before crossing the border into VA!

One option if you really like the look of a connected spa but want to be able to run it in the winter with the pool winterized is to put the spa next to the pool and make a fake overflow/spillway, a waterfall right between the spa and the pool where the water comes from the pool not the spa even though it looks like it comes from the spa.

I moved to Silver Spring eight years ago, used to live in Massachussets. For many years we were in downtown Silver Spring. Last year we bought a house right near Colesville.

Some of this can be personal opinion. I am very happy with our above ground spa and woudl not think of building one in the pool. My spa is very easy to balance the chemicals, the spa fits me perfectly and the surfcae of the spa is smooth and comfortable. It does not have that perfect aththestic look, but I am planning to beuilt a wall around it to blend in with the new pool deck color and rock look.

newbie here with Pool under construction......that being said I've owned a Spa for the past 5 years. no way would I put a spa in my pool. (My builder was offering one free with the pool and I had him just add the additional 50 square feet of space at the end of my pool with seats but no jets and no wall between pool and seating area. I live in NJ and I use my "hot tub" 8-9 months out of the year. the best time is when it's 20-40 degrees outside! My neigbors have spa attached and rarely use theirs. I mean who wants to sit in 100 degree water when it's 90 outside? Plus the seats are all bench and the jets just randomly placed as opposed to my spa which has all types of seats and the jets are placed for maximum therapy. With a seperate pool/spa combo you can be outside in water 12 months a year!

I agree a stand alone spa is more comfortable and and better jet placement. I use mine (spill over) in the evening after work. Don't mind closing it for the winter with the pool. As I'm getting older going from cold to hot water and cold again doesn't appeal to me.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.