Too much CYA...starting over

Jun 23, 2010
I moved into my current house in 2008 and inherited an chlorine pool. I have been having trouble keeping the chlorine levels high enough so I had my water tested. Sure enough, my CYA is over 100. So I am going to drain 1/3 to 1/2 my pool and start over. However I want to use the BBB method as I agree that the pucks will bring the CYA back to a level that is problematic. Wish me luck. Any helpful suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Is draining 1/3 to 1/2 of the pool enough? I was going to turn the automatic chlorinator off and add bleach after I refill my pool.

you could be patient. Or super chlorinate with about 8 lbs (10 is my advice) of chlorine. Then brush the pool. Then clean the filter the next day, and enjoy the rest of your swim season. Algae however tends to raise pH "all of my water tested ok" is a stretch for us though. Because it can all be "okay" and still be poorly balanced.

Welcome to TFP.

We need more info.
What type pool is it?
Where are you located?

If you're in an area with a high water table you don't want to drain too much water at a time.
If it's a vinyl liner pool you don't want to drain too much from it.
If you live in an area where the water cost is high or there are restrictions you might consider other alternatives.

icreatepools4u said:
you could be patient. Or super chlorinate with about 8 lbs (10 is my advice) of chlorine. Then brush the pool. Then clean the filter the next day, and enjoy the rest of your swim season. Algae however tends to raise pH "all of my water tested ok" is a stretch for us though. Because it can all be "okay" and still be poorly balanced.

Why would you recommend a specific amount of chlorine with no information about pool volume? That is the exact opposite of the ideas we have here.

Do you have any source for your idea that algae raises pH?

My pool is 18,750 gallons. Inground. Pebbletec bottom. I live in Houston Texas. Right now the water is clear but I am worried about algae since my chlorine is low. The water costs in our area are not too high. I was under the impression that the only way to lower the CYA was to perform a partial drain then refill. Any other ideas are welcome.
Also I have a Sta-Rite Cartridge filter (2 cartridges) and my filter pump is a Hayward 2 HP.

In certain parts of the country they have a Reverse Osmosis service that runs your water though it to remove all sorts of things. They then retreat your water to the proper levels so there's no draining invloved. Houston doesn't have it that I know of. So your only option os to do a partial drain/refill.

I am going to do the drain/refill this weekend. I was going to drain at least half of the pool, probably a bit more. So after I refill I plan to add bleach to raise the chlorine level, run for about 4 hours then re-test the water.

JohnT said:
icreatepools4u said:

Why would you recommend a specific amount of chlorine with no information about pool volume? That is the exact opposite of the ideas we have here.

Do you have any source for your idea that algae raises pH?

Ok thank you for that reply I was thinking I had missed something. I don't want to get into trouble by asking about my problems on someone elses thread but I am watching this because my CYA is in the same boat and I am trying to get the nerve up to start draining it. So I will keep watching for good advise on this one.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.