Possible Algae?

poolneophyte

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 1, 2009
Long Island, NY
We currently have crystal clear water but have needed to increase the output on our SWG to keep the FC above the minimum per the FC/CYA chart. The pool water is in the range of 84-86 degrees and is in full sun for about 60% of the day. I don't remember having the SWG at 50% or more last year (1st season with pool) to keep the FC above minimum. I noticed that the floor was slippery this weekend prior to cleaning and brushing. Could I be on the verge of an algae outbreak? We will do an overnight FC test tonight and post a complete set of results tomorrow. Is it normal for SWG's to have problems keeping up the FC level during the summer?

Sounds like you have the right plan of attack laid out...it could be a number of things, but the overnight test and a full set of results will help us determine. On thing that comes to mind is that if you have had any water replacement, your CYA may have come down, which may be making it harder for the SWG to keep up with things.

Is it normal for the liner to get slippery? Another question, the pressure on my DE filter has risen very little over the last month and is still no where close to the "dirty" setting. Is there a need to backwash even if there is no increase in pressure?

Assume this is an in-ground plaster or pebble pool. How many gallons? How long is the pump/filter operated each day? Is the pool cloudy or clear? Finally, could you post the most recent test results?

pH
Free Chlorine (FC)
Combine Chlorine (CC)
Total Chlorine (TC)
Total Alkalinity (TA)
Calcium Hardness (CH)
Cyanuric Acid (CYA or stabilizer)
Salt PPM

For resolving an algae problem, the most important factors are Free Chlorine and CYA in PPM. If your SWG and filter are working properly and you have been maintaining a Free Chlorine level of 5% or more of CYA, there's less opportunity for an outbreak. E.g. If your CYA is 50 PPM, you'd want a minimum Free Chlorine level of 2.5 PPM.

Another thing that might help is regularly brushing the boulders in the area where they are getting algae along with your pool.

We did an overnight FC drop test and did not lose any FC or indicate an CC's. Full test results are as follows:

FC=4
CC=0
PH=7.5
Temp=84
TA=80
CYA=60
CH=70

The SWG is presently set at 60% and the pump runs from 7:00AM to 7:00PM. We are going to add more CYA to get to a target level of 70. Last summer was our first season with a pool and we didn't keep good records of what our SWG was set at. I just don't remember it being at 60% and only getting 4 PPM of FC. Should we run the pump for a period at night to produce chlorine without losing it to the sun?

I was going to add enough CYA to get to 70 but I may as well shoot for 80. I still want to touch on two questions in my earlier posts:

1. Should I run the pump/SWG at night to generate chlorine without being used up by sunlight? Will this help?

2. If the pressure does not rise on my DE filter, do I still need to backwash? At the rate my pressure is rising, I will not have to backwash all season.

Thanks to all!

1) It doesn't make a large difference. If your electrical rates are the same during the day and at night, it is just ever so slightly better to run the pump during the day with a SWG.
2) Some people only backwash once per season. Unless you have some reason to suspect problems, wait to backwash until the pressure goes up.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.