Newbie ?'s

Aug 10, 2007
North Alabama
Im dragging this thread over from another forum.It's got alot of good info so far!

thread

Ok!One day til closeing!!The pool is 36x18x9 maybe 10ft at the deep end 3 at the shallow.Found out that we have a Leslie's store nearby so I dropped in.They tested my the water.FAC-2,PH-7.8,TA-120,TDS-300.That's all they tested for.Didn't test for cya.
I asked if they had a Taylor k-2006.They did not they had their DPD delux test kit made by Taylor.It tests for free and total chlorine bromine,ph,acid demand and total alkalinity.Here is were I should have done more home work!I asked the little girl if acid demand ment the same as a cya test.She asured me that it was so I bought the kit.I know better now!Can you buy just a Taylor cya test?If so were?
I know you guy's know what your talking about and I want to learn "the ways of a Jedi" but I can't understand why Lowe's,Home depo,Wal-mart,Leslie's pool supplies and two pool guy's i've talked too and the 4 other pool supply places I've called only sell/use Trichlor or Dichlor and tell me to use it if cya is such a problem!!and why I can't find anything else!They look at me like im crazy when i ask about chlorinating liquid!Back to top

This is what I got.Can we make it work?
test kit

Here's a pic of the pool!It's filled and clear now.
0801071510.jpg
[/img]

Welcome to TFP!

Most of the pool industry is in denial about CYA, sad but true. For pools with particuarly short swim seasons that backwash their filter frequently and lower the water when winterizing, CYA is often not that big of a deal. For most pools knowing your CYA level is critical.

TF Test Kits, see the link in my signature, has a CYA test kit available seperately, as does Taylor (K-1720). Leslies sells a kit through their web site, the Chlorine FAS-DPD Service Test Kit, that includes the best chlorine test and a CYA test but the stores never carry it. WalMart also sells the HTH 6 way test kit which can test for CYA two or three times.

If you are closing the pool right away you don't really need to worry about CYA till next season. Some pools lose all of their CYA over the winter.

If you give us the length, width, and both shallow and deep end water depth we can give you an esitmate of how many gallons it holds.

((EDIT))Sigh, now I see the dimensions. I get around 27,000 gallons, assuming a 5.5 foot average depth. You say a 3 foot shallow end and 9 or 10 foot deep end, which averages to 6.25 feet, but the walls of the deep end appear sloped in the picture so I used a slightly smaller number.((END EDIT))

It's official Im the new pool/lawn boy!
I went and snuck some water the morning of closeing(Wensday).The pool guy had not been there.I tested free chlorine at 0.5.I added a big bottle (Like 120oz?)of GV ultra 6% bleech.That afternoon the FC was up to 4.0.Ok,tonight my tf-100 came in.The numbers are a bit shakey!

FC-0.5
CC-0
TC-0.5
PH-7.8
TA-180
CH-140
CYA-???I used all the solution and still could faintly see the dot!???
Temp 88
I just added a jug of bleach so the Chlorine should be back up in the morning but what about that TA and how can I get the cya up fast?

Good Morning,

How does your water look?

The CYA test indicates you have less than 20ppm and will need to add more to help hold your chlorine. You can't really get it in there faster than 2-5 days....it simply takes time for it dissolve and show up in your pool. Follow directions on the CYA box for the dosage. I'd suggest adding enough to increase by 20ppm and go from there.

Most importantly, you must keep chlorine in your pool. Can't tell for sure if it's being consumed by the Sun, algae, or a combination of both but you'll need to keep adding daily 'til your CYA comes up.

If you've been using pucks, a few in the skimmer or chlorinator (if you have it) will assist in both FC and CYA. If you don't have any, dont buy any....you'll be compelled to use them up and possibly get your CYA too high.

pH and Alk is just a little high but I would disregard those until you get your FC/CYA problems fixed.

I bought 5lbs of 100% CYA since I already had a bunch of bleach and this evening I put 3lbs into two pantyhose and hung them into the water in the return water flow.How long do ya think I should wait til I cheak the CYA agin?Think I should have used all of it?

It is always best to go slow with CYA... you can always add more to raise the level, but you cannot easily lower it.
Wait about a week before you check. Sometimes it appears to have all dissolved, but the level will continue wising for a couple days.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.