Iron levels!

Jun 28, 2010
Chesapeake, VA
Good morning all. I am a newbie here, and a newbie to swimming pool care. We purchased a home with a pool. We have been trying to open the pool for a month now, but we live out in the sticks and have well water with high amounts of iron. When we filled the pool, our iron level was 6. Yes, 6! After weeks of metal removers, we are now down to .75. My questions are, how low does the iron have to be before we can move on to the normal opening procedures? Is .75 still really high? Will my pool turn brown if I shock it right now? What would we do next after all the metal is gone?
Here are the #'s that we have right now.

TC-0
FC-0
PH-7.2
TA-90
CH-90
CYA-10
Salt-200

Thanks for any help, it has been so hot here, we all just want to swim!!

Welcome to TFP!

Given a vinyl liner pool, if you can get the iron level down to 0.3 or lower you don't need to worry about iron any more. Actually removing metals from the water permanently is unreliable. I hope you have actually succeeded at do that, and this isn't just a testing error (which are fairly common). The usual course of action for metals in the water is to use a sequestrant, which needs to be maintained with regular doses. Sequestrant binds to the metals and prevents them from forming stains, but does not actually remove them from the water.

Thank you so much for the reply. We have been using Super SequaSol consistently. It seems like the iron is never going to get to 0.3! I've been taking our water to our pool store every week. We have had fluctuations with the iron level. Previously our iron was at .2, then back up to .75. Could the .2 reading be from the water sample being taken from the shallow end? It was taken at the deep end for the .75 reading. No make up water has been added.
The water has been crystal clear in the shallow end, and the deep end has a yellow hue to it on the bottom. From a distance, the deep end looks cloudy. What should I do about this?
Thank you!

Super SequaSol contains both citric acid and stabilizer. The citric acid uses up some chlorine every time you add more Super SequaSol. For ongoing maintenance you should look for a stabilizer that is just stabilizer and doesn't contain other ingredients.

The yellow hue is a hint that either you are not using enough sequestrant or there is very bad circulation in the deep end.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.