Builder rinsing grout sponge in pool?

dwnsth

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 14, 2007
SE Louisiana
Hi all,

Just found this site, whish I had found it months ago. Finally after many months of trials and trouble, our pool is starting to enter the last phases of build. It's a 22x41 vinyl liner mountain pond. We've had water in the pool for weeks but only got equipment turned on about 4 days ago. Yesterday, the builder grouted the bullnose coping brick. While doing this, they simply washed the grout sponges directly in the pool. Is this normal, they assured me it was. However, they actually had my polaris running while and since this was going on. The polaris wheels are now hopelessly clogged with grout. I am no pool expert, but this just seemed odd to take a pool that was almost crystal clear and do this. Is there any danger to my pumps/filter etc?

No that is not normal. They should have had separate wash buckets for the sponges. Usually there won't be any problems getting a little grout in the pool, which happens often enough even with the separate wash buckets, but now and then something can go wrong as you have seen and the risk goes up the more grout that gets into the pool. They should have been more careful and you should get them to repair/replace the polaris.

It is not normal, just LAZY! My last pool had tile just below the coping and though a lot of grout ended up in the pool, the builder did use a second rinse bucket. I'd be sure they clean/replace the Polaris.

Dave

Thanks, I didn't think this was normal but know know nothing about the actual processes these pool builders use. This has been a long haul to get this far. Since October '06 on second PB and spent far too much money (and this is a vinyl liner). Now, if I can get these guys to respond to my calls other than "that's the way we do it" that would be good. I'm glad I found a PB to step in (recomended by major pool supply company) after the first, but all in all, I'm disenchanted with pool contractors in general.

This guy should have been fired. He lied to you when is said this was normal. He also should of
put down plastic to collect the overspill. He is basically lazy and cheating on the job, then lying
his way out of it. I would suspect is quality of workmanship is equally poor. He probably low bid
the job to get the work.

Cliff s

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.