vac algae topic changed shocking now..with results

Jun 7, 2010
Hi everyone .. back again... Finally got my new test kit tf-100....here are my numbers....

CC -0
FC-0
TA-160
PH-7.2
CYA-30
CA- 200

I have about 30 gallons of 6% bleach ready to go... now just need some free time... with all the family functions going on and the constant rain here ...just been to busy... but this week looks good to shock it...

I do have visible algae.. I will scrub the walls and bottom with a brush... is it best to vac as much as I can out through the filter.. or just let the bleach do its thing...if I do vacuum some out,,, would I save a bit on bleach???? I have no problem getting more... ... or is it not worth the time???... thanks again for all the advice given allready.. scott

Re: Best to Vac algae before shocking?

Hi, Scott,

Unless it solid junk that you can scoop out with a net, don't bother. Put the chlorine in and kill it dead and then start vacuuming and filtering. You would save nothing on bleachas the algae simply grows right back in your pool as you vacuum some of it out.

Your numbers look very good for starting the shock process. Remember, keep your chlorine up at shock level by testing very frequently the first day and then something on the order of twice daily thereafter and replenishing right back to shock value each time it tests below that.

Good luck and keep us posted!!

If you vacuum out on waste you might end up with less dead algae to clean up afterwards. But it might not be worth the water loss. Vacuuming live algae on filter with a sand filter usually will result in a green cloud of algae shooting out the returns.

ok.. .Im shocking the pool as I write this... heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelp....
k started dumping in my Bleach at about 11:45 (CST)all bleach amounts from Pool Calculator did my first test on sunday night cya 30 pretty darn sure i did it correct.... right amount of testing and filled at the hip.. just like instructions told me...

11:45 am start..... 546 oz Bleach

checked @ 12:45pm FC-4.5 CC- 2
added 278 oz of bleach

checked @ 1:40pm FC- 13.5(target pool calculator for shock 12)

checked @ 2:30pm FC- 12.5

checked @ 3:40 FC- 8 CC- 2.5
added 182 oz

checked @ 5:05 FC- 17 CC- 1.5

checked @ 6:50 FC- 6
added 278 oz..

checked @ 7:45 FC- 19 CC- 2

checked @ 8:45 FC - 19

checked @ 9:45 FC-14.5 CC-1.5
added 364 oz. TO BED...

day 2
checked 5:30am FC- 21 CC -1.5

checked 4:00pm FC-12 CC-1
added 96 oz bleach...

Checked 8:30pm FC-14 CC-.5

checked 10:30pm FC 12 CC-.5

day 3
checked 5:45 am FC 12 CC-.5

am I going about this corretly... t
thanks scott

Scott, do one more test tomorrow AM and repeat it several times.....use the same mixture dumping it in and out of the view tube maybe four times. Try to be objective about what you get each time....don't let the previous result influence you.

Take the average of your results and let that be your "true" CYA and dose your chloinre accordingly

I think I figured out why my test showed 60 cya...I did the CYA test the night before the shock process the water was somewhat clear.... then started shocking and all day of adding bleach.. the water is so cloudy from the algae I think its the algae in the test tube that made the test cloudy giving it a high reading.. does this make any sense.. thanks scott

Testing at night can give you a higher CYA reading than the actual level.

Cloudy/murky water causing an incorrect CYA reading is rare. One way you can check for this is to fill the view tube with straight pool water. If you can still see the black dot clearly then the cloudy/murky water is not affecting the CYA reading.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Can someone look at one of my previous post on this topic...all my #'s and times are posted... I made it through the night without a reduction in FC....... and I have a CC of .5.......and see if my numbers are ok to do the normal levels for a 25/30 CYA pool.... pool is getting clearer everyday... didn't get a chance to check my #'s during lunch .. but will as soon as I get home .. thanks again for all the help.. .scott

another ?.... last night.. @ 10:30pm had a FC of 12 and a CC of .5 in the morning same reading..... had a beutiful day lots of sun... hardly any clouds... didn't get a chance to check at lunch.... so I quick did it as soon as I got home.. 4:00 pm.....reading were FC 6 and a CC of 1... I quickly added 2-96oz of bleach and checked in one hour... readings were 13.5 FC and .5 CC...and tonight at 10:00 pm... had readings of 12 FC and .5 CC
is this normal.. ????
forcast tomorrow lots of sun again.... can I expect a pretty good loss again tomorrow?
thanks again.. scott

water is pretty cloudy...did cya test and showed a 30... I scrubed and vacuum out a few leaves ..but it looks to me like its getttin a little clearer each day...I did have a FC lose of 2.5.... went from 12 at 9:30pm to 9.5 at 6:15am the next day. and a CC reading of .5 so i did add bleach again... how come one night I didn't loose any FC.. but last night I did?????... doensn't that mean algae is still there????? thanks scott

doensn't that mean algae is still there?????
Essentially, yes. You certainly have organics in the pool and it is likely algae.

Be patient and keep up the process. Brush as often as you can, continue to replenish chlorine, etc. Do you have any areas in your pool where algae can hide? Perhaps like under steps, ladders, etc. Make sure those are clean.

It sounds like you are getting there and just need to keep doing what you are doing. I cannot answer why you experienced no FC loss that one evening.....sometimes things aren't as predictable as we'd like them to be.

If you want to change something, bump your FC up to around 16 or so and see if that speeds up the process. Not always, but sometimes there are reports of that making a dramatic difference.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.