Too much salt

imcj

May 18, 2010
Apparently I've got a dilemma...
I read on this db that salt content should be somewhere around 3000-3200 ppm. Well, after reading that I ordered some salt test strips. I just tested and it reads 5310. That is obviously high. What should I do?

My manual says ideal salt level 3000 ppm. So what do I do? I have to drain some water? I'm assuming I do so any idea how much?

One last question, I know too much salt can be harmful to the pool, equipment, etc., but I have not harmed my child in any way by having too much salt in the water have I?

Don't panic, have you ever let your child swim in the sea? that is around 35000ppm so no worries on that. Different manufactures have different specs but you need to follow them or any warrantee maybe invalidated, that level isn't that high but can affect performance of the power supply as the water will be more conductive. Your call

You can use the Pool Calculator to tell you how much water to drain.

To go from 5300 to 3000ppm in a 5800gal pool you would need to drain 43% of your water. Figuring a water level of 46" that would be 19" of water you need to drain.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.